Kentucky Derby -- My Longshot Picks -- Race in 7 hrs.

Sandy Eggo

Just to jump in here as (1) I used to work at a breeding farm and (2) I own two 2yos in training who's sire's stud fee was at $2500 in 2007. Sire is Anziyan Royalty, only horse to best Lava Man twice.

At http://www.lanesend.com/stallions/roster.asp (Archive copy), A.P. Indy commands $250,000 and gets it.

Kingmambo, as well is $250,000.

Smart Strike is $125,000.

As for Freshman Sires (first year at stud) -- not usually more than $75,000. That would be Curlin, Big Brown this year.

shadroch

MoneyPlays said:
Secretariat beat a lot of good horses by >15 lengths in his career. "Big Red" won the Belmont by 31 lengths. :eek:

One second = approximately 5 lengths in any distance of horse race. (save for an Amish buggy race) :grin:
Secretariat won the Belmont by 6+ seconds! :eek:

I was at Belmont that day and it was something I will never forget. The crowd was on pins and needles as everyone thought the jockey was blowing the race by pushing his horse too early, but Big Red just rumbled down the stretch.
Actually, the stretch run between Affirmed and Alydar was more exciting,
and Ruffian breaking down is perhaps my most pointed memory, but watching Secretariat that day was awesome. Later that fall, we were riding by Belmont and thru the fence we saw Red in his paddock. That alone was quite a thrill.
For what it's worth, I believe Forego was the greatest horse I ever saw race. What Mine that Bird did in the Derby was just a day at the office for The Mighty Forego. As they say, Forego could go to eleven.