KO Rookie and a few other ?s

I'm using the KO rookie system with modest results so far. I play in a game with 80% pen, 8 decks, S17, Double any 2, 2 splits max, and usually $15 min and $500 max.

Basically I bet the min until the count hits 22 and then I immediately jump up to at least 5x the original bet. That's really all you need to do to be +ev, correct? Aside from playing BS, of course.

There is no ramping of bets using KO rookie, right? It's just small bet and big bet? I am going to test the limits the next few sessions and maybe try going when they have $5 tables and play $5- 2x $50.

Yeah that's KO Rookie. Minimum bet until you reach the "key count" and then max bet. It was recommended to recreational players.

With a key count of 22, I'm guessing your using the customized IRC (initial running count) to avoid negative numbers. I do that too.

I'm just learning and practicing this system atm. For me the hard part is the actual counting. After that...I don't see how adding index plays, a betting ramp and even different key counts (colour of Blackjack) could be much harder.

Edit: I'm not sure spreading 1-5 would beat an 8 deck game?

boneuphtoner

Edit: I'm not sure spreading 1-5 would beat an 8 deck game?
I ran KO Rookie with CVCX 8 Decks 75% penetration DAS RSA, and I confirm that a 1-5 spread definitely puts you on the positive side of the long run, with a SCORE of 2.17.

I started a thread a couple of years ago that the spreads listed in most blackjack books are needlessly too high for recreational counters. This result confirms that KO stripped down to its simplest form still beats an 8 decker with a small 1-5 spread. You won't win that much, but being on the positive side of the long run beats losing any day if you ask me! ;)

Wookets

Learn KO preferred; for 8 decks you only need to learn 75% of the index plays (about 13-14 total) and it's not difficult at all to learn how to ramp your bets.

1. Yes, I do use the IRC to avoid negative numbers as much as possible. I've actually slightly modified the way I keep the count. I start each shoe at 0. Then, for the # of hands dealt in, I multiply by 2 (the # of starting cards for each hand). So if there are 5 hands dealt in I add 10 before the dealer starts the hand. Then for each 8 or 9, I subtract 1. This effectively "cancels out" the 8s and 9s because they should count for 0. Then for each T, face, or ace, I subtract 2. One for the card itself, and then one for the -1. It's a lot easier this way imo, because I completely avoid counting small cards on the original deal. Then each card that comes up you just do your normal +1, 0, or -1. I find it easy to keep up with on the original deal, where I was normally getting behind. I guess if I got better at counting in pairs it would be best but for now I like it the way I have it.

2. Is KO preferred offered in the "KO rookie" book? Any links to this strategy?

johnnyb

buccobaseball24 said:
I'm using the KO rookie system with modest results so far. I play in a game with 80% pen, 8 decks, S17, Double any 2, 2 splits max, and usually $15 min and $500 max.

Basically I bet the min until the count hits 22 and then I immediately jump up to at least 5x the original bet. That's really all you need to do to be +ev, correct? Aside from playing BS, of course.

There is no ramping of bets using KO rookie, right? It's just small bet and big bet? I am going to test the limits the next few sessions and maybe try going when they have $5 tables and play $5- 2x $50.
If this place you go to has any other games, like 4D or 6D, then try those. For a beginner, you may lose interest in counting an 8D game because the game recquires a lot of patience, and it takes the longest out of any game to see if the count will be worthy at about 3-5 decks sometimes. You will only see realistic improvements in your game if your bet spread is much larger, but since you are just a recreational player, then that is not necessary. Boneup was nice enough to run a sim, but if your BR is large enough, I'd suggest a 1-16 bet spread, but only you know your financial abilities. Good luck.