Learning to count

Kape

Hello,
I have been lurking in the forums for a while and this is my first post. I am currently studying/training to learn Red 7. I’ve read four books and I have another two I’m going through at the moment. My main reason is simply for entertainment, I just want to try it and say I did it. I am taking a trip to Vegas at the beginning of Dec for the marathon but I am injured and cannot run. I have basically replaced my running with counting. I don’t have a big bank roll and I know I can’t make any money with the small amount I have to gamble with. When I am in Vegas I like to play very small amounts of money in video poker machines and have a few beers brought to me by some attractive ladies. I know that by the time I’ve put money in the machines and tipped I’ve basically “paid” for any drinks I’ve had but I don’t care, for me it’s fun/entertainment. A far as BJ goes I want to play some low min hands, keep the count, and if it goes up, up my bet once or twice and see what happens. If I lose $100 no big deal I’ll go play some vp, have a buffet, sleep, rinse, repeat. You may think this isn’t worth it but I just want to say ‘I tried’. I’ve memorized BS and am practicing it on hitorsplit.com and I am working on getting my counting up to speed. I have counted accurately through a deck in 26 seconds. I started out going through a deck one card at a time, then two, then three and now I’m on four. My problem is that I can get through a deck successfully say 10 times at 4 cards at a time, then on one particular shuffle I will mess up, lose the count or get to the end with the wrong total. So I go through the deck and again and mess up again. Once this happened four times in a row, by my fifth attempt I was so frustrated I wanted to scream. My question, is this normal, have others faced this as they were learning to count and building up speed? Is this just a hump I have to get over? Am I spending to much time in a day practicing? Some days I have spent 4-5 hours practicing. It is very frustrating to see progress and think I am improving to have this happen and feel like maybe I am just not able to do this. I consider myself intelligent and it seems pretty straight forward. I know, I know I’d be ‘better off just playing BS…’, ‘you’re wasting you money and time….’ I get it, I just want to try this, I’m not trying to become a pro and make a ton of money, I just find it very interesting and I am enjoying learning and practicing (aside from the frustration I described). Anyway thanks for all the info you guys provide I really enjoy reading about your adventures etc. If you have any advice I would appreciate it, thanks.