Million Dollar bankroll

matt21

haxxilla said:
If I had such a thing, I'd buy me a car and invest the rest. Wouldn't that make you more money then risking it at BJ?
incorrect. if blackjack is played actively and correctly and assuming you can find outlets for your 1million-dollar bankroll (meaning your standard unit can be 1,000), you can make very good returns. playing 40 hours per month should net you around 6% return on bankroll (before expenses). You would be very pressed to find this return in any passive investment, although it may well be possible to make this return if you are investing in a business of your own.

however playing with a 1,000 dollar std unit would be very difficult. a better approach would be to use 5-10 players with a 100-200 dollar standard unit (even then your max bets would hit 1,000 dollars).

EasyRhino

But in an EMFH team, each player could theoretically play as if they had $1k units.

The deploying of the bankroll would seem to be difficult at that level. I could easily see this hypothetical person not using the whole bankroll for gambling (or at least blackjack) and using the rest for other purposes.

Something less risky, like real estate speculation. :)

Billy C1

Teams and Trust

As paranoid as I am, you'd think I'd been burned in the past and that's not the case. However, the trust needed for team ventures is a concern (huge).
Therefore, I would do a solo bj game and probably buy some stocks, put some of the rest in guaranteed interest money market accounts and live large while my health allows me to.

Billy C1

gibsonlp33stl

Depending on your particular life style....$1 Million isn't that much money anymore (as far as quitting your job and living large). It's a lot, no doubt, but unless you were really old you'd have a helluva time retiring on it. Health insurance is a bitch, and trying to raise a family with just that would become impossible.

SD Padres

I'd give it to Obama. He needs the money to bail out poorly run companies and help out those who bought a house they couldn't afford!

For sake of a discussion lets say you could only play BJ with this million dollars. How do you think you would play to insure your longevity? Play a large unit with a very small advantage or play with a smaller unit but play with an bigger advantage. Play a 1k unit but only aim to make .1 units/ hour or play with a 100 dollar unit and try and make 1 unit an hour?

johndoe

1357111317 said:
For sake of a discussion lets say you could only play BJ with this million dollars. How do you think you would play to insure your longevity? Play a large unit with a very small advantage or play with a smaller unit but play with an bigger advantage. Play a 1k unit but only aim to make .1 units/ hour or play with a 100 dollar unit and try and make 1 unit an hour?
Probably somewhere in between, or better yet develop a more extreme version of Andersen's "Ultimate Gambit".

Billy C1

Agreed

gibsonlp33stl said:
Depending on your particular life style....$1 Million isn't that much money anymore (as far as quitting your job and living large). It's a lot, no doubt, but unless you were really old you'd have a helluva time retiring on it. Health insurance is a bitch, and trying to raise a family with just that would become impossible.
It's agreed that a million isn't all that much anymore but notice that I didn't say anything about quitting job (business in my case). Along with other equity I have, living large would be very doable WHEN not working.

Billy C1

Thunder

If I had a million dollars, all I'd need is just one day trade a year, and I'd be set. The thing about blackjack is, to make a consistent living off of it, you have to be at the top of your game all the time. Not many people can be at their best 40 hours a week. In my opinion your odds of doing well in the market are a lot better than in BJ. The biggest problem is that too many people are afraid to go short and don't know when to cut their losses.

MAZ

Thunder said:
If I had a million dollars, all I'd need is just one day trade a year, and I'd be set. The thing about blackjack is, to make a consistent living off of it, you have to be at the top of your game all the time. Not many people can be at their best 40 hours a week. In my opinion your odds of doing well in the market are a lot better than in BJ. The biggest problem is that too many people are afraid to go short and don't know when to cut their losses.
You don't need a million bucks or need to play 40 hours a week to make a living at this game. If you can't be at the top of your game consistently you're just weak and you're right not to expect too much. As for the stock market, not only do I always outperform it, Madoff didn't get any of my money either. It comes down to a simple fact whan playing this game for all the marbles.............A man's got to know his limitations.

SD Padres

Blue Efficacy said:
You know that bailing out the banks wasn't Barack's idea, right?

When or where did I say he wanted to bail out "banks"? If you are referring to the mortgage problem, it was his party that put pressure on the lending institutions to lend money to those that were not qualified to purchase a home.
And just to be fair to both political sides Bush spent money like a drunken sailor as well!

ihate17

I believe there is a point of diminishing returns

Back when my bankroll grew to over 6 figures I saw that the number of games where I could play with the larger max bets and some type of longevity would be fewer and fewer, and decided not to increase my bankroll further. Of course, I am not a full time player and am not looking to support myself on blackjack earnings.

There does come a point where if one had a million dollar bankroll that they could not get enough hours, or get too many backoffs, to earn a six figure income from that bankroll. Perhaps banking team play, with all the pitfalls of having team members, would be the best method.

ihate17

callipygian

SD Padres said:
And just to be fair to both political sides Bush spent money like a drunken sailor as well!
I say just to be fair to everyone, we should stop talking about how to get GM or JPM stock to rise, and start talking about how to get MGM and LVS and WYNN to fall (and TRMP too, but I guess Donald's already done a pretty good job of that on his own :laugh: ).

Cherry7Up

callipygian said:
I say just to be fair to everyone, we should stop talking about how to get GM or JPM stock to rise, and start talking about how to get MGM and LVS and WYNN to fall (and TRMP too, but I guess Donald's already done a pretty good job of that on his own :laugh: ).
MGM, LVS, and WYNN are all plummeting already too. They are down so far I've been trying to decide if I should buy some.

Kasi

1357111317 said:

Well, for the sake of discussion lol, a $1000 unit would mean a 1000 unit roll. Depending on what game, it could have a high risk like any other 1000 unit roll would for the same game.

Guess I don't understand that .1 unit vs 1 unit. In the same game, you have the same expected win in units per hand. Say it's .02 units per hand. With $1K you'd have EV of .1 unit in 5 hands. With $100 unitd, you'd have 1 unit of EV in ten times as many hands.

For longevity, I'd play with as many units as I needed to have almost 0% risk lol.

Assuming no heat here - again for the sake of discussion lol.

Best AP move of all - never mention this roll to your wife :grin:

You are correct Kasi if you are assuming no heat. However in real life there is no way you would even come close to getting away with making 1 unit an hour with a 1000 dollar unit without a team. I don't know much about this but I am sure some of the members on here could attest to this but is it even possible to make 1 unit an hour with a 100 dollar unit and not get the swift boot?

With a 1000 dollar unit couldn't you technically play a 1-6 spread or something on a shoe game to make .1 units an hour? It doesnt look like much but I think most people would take 100$ an hour any day.

ccibball50

haxxilla said:
If I had such a thing, I'd buy me a car and invest the rest. Wouldn't that make you more money then risking it at BJ?
no, because if you are playing one percent advantage game, you are getting one percent of instant interest whereas the market used to average 10 to 15% a year. The only problem is when you have more money to invest than what you can actually get on the blackjack table. If you can put significantly more money in the stock market and make more off 15 percent than if you can put it on the black jack table at 1 percent instant interest. Remember, it is according to how much money is played, not how much you buy in for.