Motivation

So I've been practicing counting for a good 3 months and my girlfriend and my roomate sometimes get on to me and think I'm wasting my time (even when I tell them how it works). However, I love understanding the math that goes into it and the probabilties. I know and understand that a counter has the advantage. I practice just about every day and sometimes put a few hours into it and I might be getting a lil addicted (oh well)... I know I'm getting much better.

I like reading threads on here that share positive stories on their experiences at the tables so I know that I'm actually investing productive time into practice. Anyone have more good stories to motivate??

Thanks!

rrwoods

To be honest, you're only wasting your time if you're not enjoying yourself (I'm guessing you're in the hobby phase of blackjack right now).

People who play card games are similarly "wasting their time". People who do pretty much anything for fun are similarly "wasting their time". If you enjoy the mathematics and the prospect of walking away with more than you came to the table with more often than not, then you aren't wasting your time.

It makes sense that people around you will think you're wasting your time because it sounds 'too good to be true' and many people don't see CCing as a structured 9-5 job. A lot of people don't think it's a way to make money because they have preconceived ideas of what a job/career should be: i.e. having a boss, hourly rate, days off, this sort of discipline, you know? But a lot of people don't understand how much discipline and hard work actually does go into counting, and as long as YOU and only YOU appreciate it then it's TOTALLY worth it. I still get this all the time, "get a real job" when my variance takes a big chunk of my bankroll, but you'll notice that if you stick with this in the long run you'll always come back on top... My team mate has a great saying, "sometimes we lose battles, but in the end we win the war!"

Kasi

GoodEye said:
However, I love understanding the math that goes into it and the probabilties. I know and understand that a counter has the advantage. I like reading threads on here that share positive stories on their experiences at the tables so I know that I'm actually investing productive time into practice. Anyone have more good stories to motivate??
From the other side of the coin, point-counterpoint and all that,
Read

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=14829

as to what can happen perhaps knowing only that "counting gives an advantage" and playing with no awareness of risk to roll or a clue as to one's EV while betting improperly with likely inadequate funds for what he is doing.