new to the game

hey everyone i am fairly new to card counting and i was looking for some tips from the pros out there. im sure people have posted threads like i have but i do appreciate all the help i can get. my first book that i ever read was the Knock-Out blackjack. I tried that system for a while but must admit i didnt spend too much time on it. The second book i read was "Golden touch blackjack revolution" (speed count) and it was very easy to learn that method. i was wondering is that a good method? i would like to know which method is the best (not just between these two methods only but every other method too). how long does it take for people to learn and how effective did it become. i know there is not one method everyone uses but i want to know what works the best for each individual(especially pros). thanks guys!

ihate17

Check out some old posts

I think Golden Touch is a weak system that gets you a very slight if any advantage. K-O, a count I do not use, is effective and will get you the money. Old posts will probably cover everything you are asking here.

ihate17

ihate17 said:
I think Golden Touch is a weak system that gets you a very slight if any advantage. K-O, a count I do not use, is effective and will get you the money. Old posts will probably cover everything you are asking here.

ihate17
thanks ihate17, what method do you use?

21forme

I've used KO for a few years and I'm very satisfied with it. It's probably the easiest "real" counting system to use. Forget about Golden Touch.

runningaces

KO is not as accurate as the hi-lo, by counting the 7's as plus 1 in the KO it can make the count look a litle more positive than it really is. I would eliminate counting the 7's as plus 1 and go with the hi-lo if your going to be serious about winning consistently. Just my opinion, others may disagree with me.

EasyRhino

KO, or its cousins, Red 7 and KISS, would be the easiest counts that I would recommend to anyone. Anything easier (Speed Count, OPP, etc), would be too weak. I use KO myself

Hi-lo is the most popular count, although it requires a true count conversion, where you divide by the decks remaining.

There are lots of more advanced counts, which can increase playing or betting efficiency, but I would not bother unless you have mastered hi-lo and are really bored.

ihate17

I use two

Gambit21 said:
thanks ihate17, what method do you use?
Today there are very few good decent single deck games in the country where you can bet at a green or black chip level. Years ago there were many and I used AOII (see blackjack for blood). It is a complicated system but I have found it great for single deck and after going a year or so without using it and then finding a single deck game, it has been like riding a bike for me. I do not recommend it for people because it is a tough count to master and there are tons of useful indices that you just can not learn quickly.

On the other hand, the vast majority of my play over the past 10 years has been double deck and 6 deck shoes where I use hi-lo, just as tons of others do. There may be a few counting systems with a little more strength than hi-lo, but it will get the money.

ihate17

SD Padres

When I first started playing BJ I used the Hi-Lo and then switched to Wong Halves after a couple of years. I now use the KO-P for DD and reKO for shoes. The KO is an easy system and still gets the money. You don't have to worry about TC conversions since it's unbalanced and I can play longer without fatigue do to it's simplicity. It's not as powerful as a level 2 but I can use it without any errors and that is worth it to me. :)

Mimosine

i too had the choice of hi/lo vs. KO. I picked KO and don't regret it.
there are some significant differences between the two, but overall both systems will give you the same edge, KO requires less effort as there is no RCtoTC conversion (as others have mentioned). The deficiencies KO has can be overcome later on in your career using things like TKO or reKO, but I would start with KO and build on it, really understand it first. read "KO blackjack" it costs under $20 on amazon.