Newbie to card counting with some questions

Hi, first off sadly I am a noob to counting. I have read a lot on here and plenty of other places. Basically I want to use the Hi Lo system in a double deck game, Dealer Hits soft 17, only DD 9-10-11, No DD after SP. Here are some of my noob questions....

1) What does the count need to be at to start increasing my bets? Also what is a normal spread?

2) What do you do if you lose count? Just flat bet until new shoe?

3) Probably a really noob question but, if the count is high, doesnt that give the dealer just as good of a chance at hitting a big hand?

4) Is there a positon on the table that gives you the most time to make sure you get an accurate count?

5) more of a double deck question, is 3 players optimal or is that just coincidence that I do better then?

sagefr0g

R O O N E Y said:
Hi, first off sadly I am a noob to counting. I have read a lot on here and plenty of other places. Basically I want to use the Hi Lo system in a double deck game, Dealer Hits soft 17, only DD 9-10-11, No DD after SP. Here are some of my noob questions....

1) What does the count need to be at to start increasing my bets? Also what is a normal spread?
plus one is good, the trick is how much to raise your bets, this depends on your bankroll, risk tolerance and what is optimal with respect to the advantage. a good simulator can figure that out for you.
2) What do you do if you lose count? Just flat bet until new shoe?
yes, or stop playing temporarily.
3) Probably a really noob question but, if the count is high, doesnt that give the dealer just as good of a chance at hitting a big hand?
yes, but the good news is, the dealer can't split, double down and doesn't receive 3:2 pay for snappers, you do.
4) Is there a positon on the table that gives you the most time to make sure you get an accurate count?
at third base you may end up with more info for making basic strategy departures but no position will help you for betting decisions.
5) more of a double deck question, is 3 players optimal or is that just coincidence that I do better then?
just a coincidence, one on one should be better as you can then get more hands played faster.

aslan

R O O N E Y said:
The dealer has a "better" chance of hitting the good cards (tens and aces), about 48% to the players 42% (a tiny bit higher in plus counts). BUT...

the dealer cannot take advantage of 3:2 payouts for naturals, or getting extra money on the table for splits and double downs, most of which the players are favored to hit successfully in plus counts. Also, the dealer is more likely to bust on his stiffs. Also, proper index play dictates standing on more stiffs against dealer nines, tens and aces, and more liberal rules for doubling down.

Last edited:

FLASH1296

R O O N E Y, re: question 3

It is important for you to understand that the sole reason that you may someday
be able to obtain a small edge over the house, is that at higher True counts you will
get to win more of your doubled bets and you will have some few extra blackjacks.

With Basic Strategy you need to understand that you will win about 43% of
your hands, lose about 48% of your hands and 'push' about 9% of the time;
AND, those percentages are only slightly effected by the True Count.

You are unlikely to ever be placing a bet with a logical expectation that you
are more likely to win the hand than not. Repeat that to yourself 99 times.

aslan

FLASH1296 said:
R O O N E Y, re: question 3

It is important for you to understand that the sole reason that you may someday
be able to obtain a small edge over the house, is that at higher True counts you will
get to win more of your doubled bets and you will have some few extra blackjacks.

With Basic Strategy you need to understand that you will win about 43% of
your hands, lose about 48% of your hands and 'push' about 9% of the time;
AND, those percentages are only slightly effected by the True Count.

You are unlikely to ever be placing a bet with a logical expectation that you
are more likely to win the hand than not. Repeat that to yourself 99 times.
999 times! It makes the medicine go down a lot easier with max bet out than it would if you were unmindful of this critical fact. I am dead serious.