Hi everyone,
I rarely play BJ, my game of choice is Baccarat. All my friends play bj and keep prodding me to try it. One has followed the strategy in Scobletes book,
darn i can't remember the name, it is an easy way to count. Is anyone familiar with this book (it has a CD in the back) If so, any opinions ?
thanks
Mike
also, i understand that unless one plays a game where he wins more hands than he loses, no money management strategy will turn him into a winner. If i play Baccarat, and always bet the bank, i will win more hands than i lose over time (the 5% commish is where they get you) BUT-- since i'e won more hands than i've lost, would any MM strategy increase my win amt. ???
Thanks again, enjoy reading all the threads.

Sonny

mike68 said:
One has followed the strategy in Scobletes book,
darn i can't remember the name, it is an easy way to count. Is anyone familiar with this book (it has a CD in the back) If so, any opinions ?
It sounds like you're talking about the Speed Count system, which is sometimes called OPP. It is a very weak system and isn't very effective, but it is a very simple way to lower the house edge. You will probably still be playing at a disadvantage and you are more likely to go broke because you are making bigger bets, but the house edge might be a bit lower. I believe the general consensus is that Speed Count isn't worth the effort. There are simple systems like KO or Red 7 that are just as easy but much more powerful.

mike68 said:
If i play Baccarat, and always bet the bank, i will win more hands than i lose over time (the 5% commish is where they get you) BUT-- since i'e won more hands than i've lost, would any MM strategy increase my win amt. ???
Unfortunately a money management system will still not help you. Even if you have a system that wins more money, the house will just take it away with the commissions leaving you at a disadvantage again. It doesn’t matter how many hands you win, the house still has the edge.

-Sonny-

TheApprentice

mike68 said:
...unless one plays a game where he wins more hands than he loses, no money management strategy will turn him into a winner. If i play Baccarat, and always bet the bank, i will win more hands than i lose over time (the 5% commish is where they get you) BUT-- since i'e won more hands than i've lost, would any MM strategy increase my win amt. ???
Thanks again, enjoy reading all the threads.
Mike, the neat thing about blackjack is that the game gives you built in opportunities to make $ even if you don't always win more than you lose.
The chance to SPLIT and DOUBLE DOWN, increasing your bet (as long as you do it only when it's most favorable for you to do so), contribute to this...
Give yourself a chance to see some examples of the math behind these things (in places like the FAQ here) and it'll make sense.
I've never played Baccarat, but the idea of paying a commis when I win just sickens me. Makes me think of horrible sales jobs I've had, too.
Blackjack's a lot of fun, and it is possible for you to get an advantage.

Thanks Sonny, Golden touch blackjack is the name of the book. Where can i find the 2 you mentioned. I'm heading for Tunica next sun., has anyone been there ? Any good restaurants to pass along ?
Is golden touch bj the book you were thinking of ?
thx
Mike

Sonny

The KO system is from Olaf Vancura's book Knock Out Blackjack and the Red 7 system is from Arnold Snyder's book Blackbelt in Blackjack. Both are very good unbalanced systems and very easy to use. Probably the most popular system is the HiLo system which is discussed in most BJ books and on the web. There is more information about different counting systems in the Free Counting Resources thread.

-Sonny-

sagefr0g

mike68 said:
Thanks Sonny, Golden touch blackjack is the name of the book. Where can i find the 2 you mentioned. I'm heading for Tunica next sun., has anyone been there ? Any good restaurants to pass along ?
Is golden touch bj the book you were thinking of ?
thx
Mike
next Sunday :eek:
maybe just find out what bj games they have. learn basic strategy for them.
use the basic strategy engine for what ever game it is:
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bjbse.php
just flat bet (hopefully at a low min table $5). maybe if you want take a gamble every so often with a higher bet. maybe not. up to you.
might probably lose money. but you'd get your feet wet with blackjack.
it takes some time to learn how to count. even an easy system.

EasyRhino

Don't forget Blackjack Bluebook by Fred Renzey, the KISS count outlined there is very similar to KO or Red 7. This family of unbalanced counts is, in many people's opinion, the easiest group of counts that are worth learning.

Thanks,
Sage, the basic strategy site you rec. has a house adv. of 0.47 % following the 8 deck startegy---is that correct ?? Sure it is, wow, that's low, interesting. Due to everyone trying to help:) i have:

blackjack blue book
ko
red 7
hi-lo
golden touch --which is the one i asked about.

Are these all basically the same ? One easier than the other ? I guess it's best to try and learn basic strategy for now, until i get solid at it (or shall i say until i pay my tuition).
All suggestions are appreciated !
Mike

sagefr0g

mike68 said:
Thanks,
Sage, the basic strategy site you rec. has a house adv. of 0.47 % following the 8 deck startegy---is that correct ?? Sure it is, wow, that's low, interesting. Due to everyone trying to help:) i have:

...Mike
well ok Mike. i don't know if you noticed that on the bottom of the basic strategy engine page you can input the rules for the particular game that you are interested in. so the thing would be is find out what rules and how many decks the games in Tunica are going to have. maybe see if they have a webpage that gives it or a phone number. then on the basic strategy engnine page link i gave you input those rules. that will generate the basic strategy you'll want to committ to memory for the games that you'll go up against in Tunica.
but yeah if you put the rules & number of decks in the basic strategy engine for the Tunica games and it comes back and gives you 0.47% then that would be the long run house edge for the game off the top of the pack being dealt if you use that basic strategy.