O.K., it's not the biggest deal in the world

bj bob

Spelling Miststeaks

Ken, You need to post a "sticky" for commonly mispelled words on the forum.
The most notorious being the one's you've already mentioned plus: Defin"i"tely, Sien(n)a, and to"u"rnament. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many others.

bj bob said:
Ken, You need to post a "sticky" for commonly mispelled words on the forum.
The most notorious being the one's you've already mentioned plus: Defin"i"tely, Sien(n)a, and to"u"rnament. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many others.
Oh, the worst misspelling possible- typing "count" but leaving out the 'o'. I've caught myself a few times and fortunately it's never gotten through. We're good enough at alienating women without that.

eps6724

The improper use of 'whom' and 'who' always ticked me off, until I remembered a line from the musical "1776"-We're a Congress, Mr. Adams, not a literary society".

nc-tom

Hey ken would it be possible to put some kind of " spell check" into the area where we send messages for those of us without master degrees or who dont speak english as a first language?

ChefJJ

eps6724 said:
The improper use of 'whom' and 'who' always ticked me off, until I remembered a line from the musical "1776"-We're a Congress, Mr. Adams, not a literary society".
When do you use "whom" properly?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
nc-tom said:
Hey ken would it be possible to put some kind of " spell check" into the area where we send messages for those of us without master degrees or who dont speak english as a first language?
If you use Internet Explorer, look at the right above the text entry area. You should see an icon with "ABC" and a checkmark. That will prompt you to download 'iespell' which you can then use to spell-check your posts.

If you use Firefox, there is a plugin that will spell check any textarea. Can't recall the name, but it should be easy to find.

LeonShuffle

ChefJJ said:
Basically, if it's being used in place of "him" or "her", then it's "whom". Even if you need to turn the sentence around such as: "Whom are you calling?" (I'm calling him/her). If it's used in place of "he" or "she", then it's "who", such as: "Who's calling me?" (He/She is calling me).

Hope that helps.

eps6724

ChefJJ said:
When you had the English teacher in High Scool I had, you would just know! But Leon (above) already aswered for those who didn't grace Her room!:) (Oh, it's never whom when plural, either.)
-EPS

rogue1

back in the day

in the old neighborhood-"Can you write your name?" "yeah"
"'ya know a ten from a twenty?" "yeah"
"ENOUGH SCHOOL!!!"