People having trouble keeping up with the count

Renzey

100 Base

For nearly the past 30 years, I've begun my count at "0" -- and then go; 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 0, 99, 98, 97, 96, etc. In that way, I never have to use the words "plus" or "minus" in my mind, or risk transposing signs between hands. An RC of "96" simply means "-4".

EasyRhino

replace "mi-nus" in your brain with "m ('em')," "my", or "dash". Saves a syllable.

Fred, I like your idea. Although to be honest, I think at this moment double-digit (especially over 20) RCs are harder for me than negatives. :)

i count in chinese, for two reasons:

1 - the dealers are saying numbers in english (sometimes french since i play in a french area of canada), so by doing it in chinese i have in my head something that will not get easily messed up by other numbers being verbalized by dealers and players

2 - everything is one short syllable. "mi-nus se-ven" is four syllables; "fu chi" is two.

if you know another language it may be advantageous for reason #1 at the very least.

ck85abc3 said:
I found that starting your count at 10 is easier because you don't have to say "minus" or "negative" in your head.

Thoughs?
Not a good idea. Just take your time. Or choose a slow dealer for a while.

I counted license plate numbers during my commute for a while. Numbers were exactly as given with 1 an ace an 0 a ten.

Letters B through L are +1,

M through Z are -1

Exceptions: A is ace, J is jack, K is king Q is queen.

The cars whiz past and you learn not only to count but multi task (preventing car accidents) at the same time.

Try it. Works great!

aslan

Renzey said:
For nearly the past 30 years, I've begun my count at "0" -- and then go; 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 0, 99, 98, 97, 96, etc. In that way, I never have to use the words "plus" or "minus" in my mind, or risk transposing signs between hands. An RC of "96" simply means "-4".
I do a similar count, the only difference being that I start at 100. You method sounds like a nice refinement of the count I use. I'll work it in and see if it is as easy as it sounds. It will cut down on the multi-syllables...i.e., one hundred and one, one hundred and two, etc.

Last edited: