Playing after kicked out

shadroch

Shoot,The Irish Inn has $20 rooms on the Boardwalk.
I don't think I've ever brought more than $700 on any BJ trip to AC and have never come close to losing everything.It will happen if I play often enough,but I usually play on markers and don't think I've ever gone over that amount.

hopson77

Yeah, the Borgata is the only place I play. I might try Showboat this weekend, because they offer the LL sidebet, which is profitable at +7 in HiLo. I've never had a problem backcounting in the Borgata. AM, have you ever caught any heat in AC?

EasyRhino said:
It sounds like Preston had a max bet of around $50 or so, so I wouldn't think that 5 large would be necessary just for one trip?

But it is important to remember that that ploppy could have helped your hands just as easily as hurt them. But he's still an idiot.
In AC you're never going to find a table less than $10 and realistically, you need to plan on playing a $25 minimum, and Wong like hell. You're going to need max bets of $200-$300 to make it worth the trip.

hopson77 said:
Yeah, the Borgata is the only place I play. I might try Showboat this weekend, because they offer the LL sidebet, which is profitable at +7 in HiLo. I've never had a problem backcounting in the Borgata. AM, have you ever caught any heat in AC?
Are you sure the LL they offer has the right pay table to be profitable at +7?

I've caught heat at the Sands (which is now gone) for counting and for using ace sequencing techniques at another store. Ace sequencing desn't look like counting but it does require you to put out large bets for no apparent reason so it tends to make the pit nervous.

The Borgata is OK, but it's really no better than any other store if you are playing these shoe games properly. I prefer to stay on the Boardwalk myself, because I can easily move from store to store looking for opportunity. Usually when I am in AC, I am using advanced AP and not counting.

hopson77

shadroch said:
Shoot,The Irish Inn has $20 rooms on the Boardwalk.
I don't think I've ever brought more than $700 on any BJ trip to AC and have never come close to losing everything.It will happen if I play often enough,but I usually play on markers and don't think I've ever gone over that amount.
I actually looked them up. Do they have communal showers for the rooms that don't have a private shower, or are they dirty and not expect you to shower? Also, I see they require a non-refundable deposit. What gives with these savages?

Preston

Cass said:
Interesting story. A few comments, sounds like you definately need a bigger BR or more wonging to play in AC. 1/2 poker?? can you even make money at that? Don't blame other players for your cards they "took" that is so annoying. It doesnt matter what other players do at the table. there hand is separate from yours. You should probably bring more than $500 if you are going to play 100/hand!

-cass
By $1/2 I meant No limit poker with $1/$2 blinds. People buy in for $100-$300. You can raise as much as you want. There have been times it gets raised to $50 pre-flop. Hell, I've pushed $300 all-in pre-flop before. I've taken in $700 pots at 1/2 NL tables. I wouldn't waste my time at anything lower than $5/$10 limit, but I hate limit poker anyway.

I don't blame others for taking my cards as I adjust when the cards come out, and there was still a good count but it just pissed me off when someone hits a hard 17 regardless.

And my highest bet was $50.. 10 units of $5. My reference to $100 was 'cuz I doubled down.

Last edited:

Preston

Automatic Monkey said:
I'm glad you did too, for your own well-being!

Let me give you some advice- Cass is right, I wouldn't set foot in AC without $5K in my pocket. Never mind the 8D games, you can play 8D just fine, the trick to beating AC with counting is aggressive backcounting. You need never play a negative EV hand in that city.

You'll also need to get over superstitions about players "taking" a card.

Finally, I'd recommend not sleeping at the highway rest areas! It's a good way to get in trouble. $40 rooms are available on US 30 outside of town.
1) I knew I was coming there short stacked with only about $250 in my pocket. Ididn't want to use an ATM, but I was there 'cuz I travel for my job and any night I don't get a hotel room it is $25-$75 saved depending on where I am. This is the same reason I slept at the rest area. I do it all the time and I'm used to it. I have travelled at least 150 nights this year and I have paid for a total of maybe 10-15 hotel rooms. Most hotel rooms I get are provided for me anyway. But in this case I had 4 days off with nowhere to go. Only a couple hours from AC.

2) I don't have superstitions about the "order of the cards." I know it doesn't matter one way or the other. I don't get mad when people just randomly jump in and out, as I've done a good amount of wonging, but it drives me crazy when an idiot sits down in a count I've been waiting 3 shoes for and they proceed to play like a jackass. Like I said this guy had a tendency to make dumbass plays and the one I referred to was hitting a hard 17. he had no reason to, took the card I needed... just a reference to how much I hated his guts.

3) What is the Advanced Plays you make? I'm still getting all this stuff down. I have learned the Mentor Count in the back of Fred Ramzey's book and that is what I am working on. I've got the count part down, still working on building a bankroll but trying to handle the betting spread, and still working on how to play my hands. I've had mostly winning sessions for the past month.

My trip to AC this time yielded a $300 profit from a $250 bankroll...or that's ho wmuch I had on me. I had another $2000 available to me if I used an ATM, but I was trying to avoid doing that.

hopson77 said:
I actually looked them up. Do they have communal showers for the rooms that don't have a private shower, or are they dirty and not expect you to shower? Also, I see they require a non-refundable deposit. What gives with these savages?
Come on guys, you should know better than to stay in a place like that. If there are communal showers, you know exactly what is going to be in the shower with you, especially if you're a young person. You have a bankroll that you have to worry about defending, and you can't afford to get into any trouble.

Worst thing I ever did was stay at the Viking Motel in Detroit, right next door to Motor City. Dirty and extremely dangerous. So now I just stay in a cheap nondescript highway motel. Nobody knows where I am, who I am, or what I'm doing there.

Preston said:
1) I knew I was coming there short stacked with only about $250 in my pocket. Ididn't want to use an ATM, but I was there 'cuz I travel for my job and any night I don't get a hotel room it is $25-$75 saved depending on where I am. This is the same reason I slept at the rest area. I do it all the time and I'm used to it. I have travelled at least 150 nights this year and I have paid for a total of maybe 10-15 hotel rooms. Most hotel rooms I get are provided for me anyway. But in this case I had 4 days off with nowhere to go. Only a couple hours from AC.

2) I don't have superstitions about the "order of the cards." I know it doesn't matter one way or the other. I don't get mad when people just randomly jump in and out, as I've done a good amount of wonging, but it drives me crazy when an idiot sits down in a count I've been waiting 3 shoes for and they proceed to play like a jackass. Like I said this guy had a tendency to make dumbass plays and the one I referred to was hitting a hard 17. he had no reason to, took the card I needed... just a reference to how much I hated his guts.

3) What is the Advanced Plays you make? I'm still getting all this stuff down. I have learned the Mentor Count in the back of Fred Ramzey's book and that is what I am working on. I've got the count part down, still working on building a bankroll but trying to handle the betting spread, and still working on how to play my hands. I've had mostly winning sessions for the past month.

My trip to AC this time yielded a $300 profit from a $250 bankroll...or that's ho wmuch I had on me. I had another $2000 available to me if I used an ATM, but I was trying to avoid doing that.

By advanced AP, I mean shuffle tracking, sequencing, error exploiting/forcing, that kind of thing. You need a decent playing stake and a bit of experience before you do that, but being procedure is so sloppy in AC it's a good place to do it.

The reason I don't recommend sleeping in the car is that you can get robbed or hassled by the cops. If they find more than $2K in your possession you had better have a pretty good story.

Playing shoe is a long hard grind, you make your money by getting as much money as you can out there on a positive count, and AC is such a miserable place I can't bring myself to even go there without a decent EV waiting for me.

Preston

Automatic Monkey said:
The reason I don't recommend sleeping in the car is that you can get robbed or hassled by the cops. If they find more than $2K in your possession you had better have a pretty good story.
Maybe I should mention some things:

1) I have a holster hanging from my rear view mirror.

2). Even at that, My windshield is blocked out and I have cardboard cutouts for all the windows except for the back window. You can't see in my car.

3) I dress poor. My car is pretty bang up. Any thief trying to rob me has to be very desperate.

As far as the cops go, my hardest thing is actually explaining my job to them. BUt I got the documentation to back it all up.

jimpenn

Cass, you wong'd out quickly in a shoe and continued to watch the the entire shoe...why? You should have been looking for another game to exploit rather than waisting your time attempting to prove how smart you are, and I also am fully comp'd (RFB) from Dec 12 thru Jan 1st. in Vegas.

Preston, I can't understand why you would wong out and then tell entire table the remaining shoe will be bad. What was you logic talking to other players at table? Sounds stupid to me. Hit and run man...forget about your ego and scout next opportunity when playing AC.

Cass, what was so "sweet" about a dealer cut to 5 D?

This entire thread was kind of stupid, with the exception of AM comments. AM, you said you had heat at the Sands...explain if you don't mind. I would like to know what "heat" is in AC, because I never experienced it. I have been told that I had to play table mim before when wonging, but that's about it.

SSRAT..."I don't care about the small EV loss in negative counts." Do you play red?

EasyRhino

Automatic Monkey said:
...AC is such a miserable place I can't bring myself to even go there without a decent EV waiting for me.
Oh crap, after all this promotion, now I have to go, just to see what it's like!

shadroch

hopson77 said:
Its really not that bad. Yes they have a communal shower,but they have wash tubs in the rooms. Its on top on an old Irish bar and they are very selective whom they rent rooms too.In fact,if you don't look Irish,they may not even giver you the time of day. Its more for people that are looking for a quick break from gambling.No woman in rooms,no perverts in the showers.ect.ect.
Its a hell of a lot safer than sleeping at a rest stop.

Preston

Oh yeah, and I didn't mention why I won't play 8 deck shoes..

It's because I track Aces and the way I've been counting I use the alphabet. Don't know if it's the best way but in a 6 deck shoe there are 24 Aces, 26 letters in the alphabet.

so I start ater the first Ace I see with A.. then next Ace B

So my count can be like... 7F means the count is +7, having seen 6 Aces.

Might not be the most efficient way but I think it's better than nothing.

sagefr0g

Preston said:

It's because I track Aces and the way I've been counting I use the alphabet. Don't know if it's the best way but in a 6 deck shoe there are 24 Aces, 26 letters in the alphabet.

Preston how do you use the count info regarding the aces? i use hi/lo and i think an ace side count could be potentialy useful such as times when one double on a hard 11. but i'm really not sure how one puts an ace side count to good use.

Preston said:

I see what you are doing. I used Hi-Opt 2 with an ace sidecount for a long time and that's exactly what I would do too. Here's a mnemonic for you to help remember which letter corresponds to a normal distribution of aces per deck: DHL Package Transit Xpress.

D=4, H=8, L=12, and so on. For 8D shoes I would just go back to A, but being I am always Wonging out of shoes with bad counts by the time I've gone through 26 aces there is usually no reason to be sitting at the table, and I'm on the "Xpress" out of there!

Still though, if you are playing shoes there's no big benefit to counts or systems where you sidecount aces. Also no reason to walk past a 8D shoe with good pen, when you see one.

Cass

jimpenn said:
Cass, you wong'd out quickly in a shoe and continued to watch the the entire shoe...why? You should have been looking for another game to exploit rather than waisting your time attempting to prove how smart you are, and I also am fully comp'd (RFB) from Dec 12 thru Jan 1st. in Vegas.

Preston, I can't understand why you would wong out and then tell entire table the remaining shoe will be bad. What was you logic talking to other players at table? Sounds stupid to me. Hit and run man...forget about your ego and scout next opportunity when playing AC.

Cass, what was so "sweet" about a dealer cut to 5 D?

This entire thread was kind of stupid, with the exception of AM comments. AM, you said you had heat at the Sands...explain if you don't mind. I would like to know what "heat" is in AC, because I never experienced it. I have been told that I had to play table mim before when wonging, but that's about it.

SSRAT..."I don't care about the small EV loss in negative counts." Do you play red?

Umm I think your comments are supposed to be directed at someone elsE?

Preston

Automatic Monkey said:
Still though, if you are playing shoes there's no big benefit to counts or systems where you sidecount aces. Also no reason to walk past a 8D shoe with good pen, when you see one.

It may not make a big a difference, but I think every little piece of information gathered is useful. The same as cutting a small card out of play. It's not going to make or break you, but it's nice to have extra info available.

Also, if I'm fortunate to get a significant positive TC with few aces out it can be a very profitable shoe :). Unless I'm an idiot playing at a 6 to 5 table.

I tried a $5 8 deck game the other night. It sucked. never got anything good, ended up making $2 after about 3 shoes. Just nothing looking good.

EasyRhino

Preston said:
I tried a $5 8 deck game the other night. It sucked. never got anything good, ended up making $2 after about 3 shoes. Just nothing looking good.
That's my personal dilemna. I really get a lot more mileage out of a $5 table, but the only local place where I can nearly guarantee one has 8d shoes, with little wonging room. To wait for the count to turn positive is painful.