Playing just for fun?

I was wondering if I'm a complete weirdo around here, or if anyone else does this... do you ever just go and play a cheap table with basic strategy for fun?

I've done this a couple of times in the last month or so. Some nights I just don't feel up to counting and "working" while at the table, so I'll go hit a $5 table and just play basic strategy. It's kind of relaxing to just sit there and bullshit with people and drink freely. I'll maybe throw down $10 if it's pretty obvious that a ton of low cards are out, and I'll use board composition to make some close calls, but basically it's just basic strategy.

It's kind of funny, but some nights I do so well that I wonder what the hell I bother counting for. :laugh:

Anyone else drop the counter thing once in a while and wing it?

halcyon1234

scanner said:
I was wondering if I'm a complete weirdo around here, or if anyone else does this... do you ever just go and play a cheap table with basic strategy for fun?

I've done this a couple of times in the last month or so. Some nights I just don't feel up to counting and "working" while at the table, so I'll go hit a $5 table and just play basic strategy. It's kind of relaxing to just sit there and bullshit with people and drink freely. I'll maybe throw down $10 if it's pretty obvious that a ton of low cards are out, and I'll use board composition to make some close calls, but basically it's just basic strategy.

It's kind of funny, but some nights I do so well that I wonder what the hell I bother counting for. :laugh:

It'd make a good cover play... ;)

dacium

Its best to do this on the shuffle machine tables if you absolutely don't want to count. It also is good for cover that way. I was getting the stare of death from a bit boss on my last trip because I was back counting and coming in only on really high counts. I had doubled my session roll and decided to go to a CSM and ended up winning a bit more. At $5 you are only loosing like 2c per hand or about $1.50 per hour depending on how fast the table plays.

I like it because it entertaining but in Australia its really getting rediculous. The minimum has been $10 for some time and they are slowly squeezing it to $15, the majority are $15 and $25 now.

They are already making heaps of money. $10 hands with 7 players is 42 cents per hand and about $30-$40 per hour, if everyone plays perfectly! imagine the return from the average people giving them 5% - 10% house edge, it would be $300-$400 per hour easily.

Well, I think that playing while counting is more fun (since I win money that way!), but I play craps, VP and occasionally pai gow poker at low stakes for fun (as well as cover). I've also had the experience winning bigger playing BS than while counting-- on my last Vegas trip, I made almost all of my money on two big VP sessions and a few shoes playing BS with a friend in order to justify my comp at the Venetian, while barely being ahead in my counting. Guess that's why they call it gambling....

mdlbj

scanner said:

Never.....

shadroch

I like it because it entertaining but in Australia its really getting rediculous. The minimum has been $10 for some time and they are slowly squeezing it to $15, the majority are $15 and $25 now.

They are already making heaps of money. $10 hands with 7 players is 42 cents per hand and about $30-$40 per hour, if everyone plays perfectly! imagine the return from the average people giving them 5% - 10% house edge, it would be $300-$400 per hour easily.[/QUOTE]

Dacium,
A question and an observation.
$10 Australian is how much in US dollars?
Also,playing with 7 people at a table in the States,you would never approach 100 hands an hour,how do they do this Down Under?
Could you explain how you come up with all your statistics?i'm curious,as they all appear slightly different than the ones I most commonly see.

QFIT

If you have been counting for awhile; it is very difficult not to count. The hard part is playing Poker and not counting the cards. Or seeing license plate numbers.

halcyon1234

dacium said:
Its best to do this on the shuffle machine tables if you absolutely don't want to count. It also is good for cover that way. I was getting the stare of death from a bit boss on my last trip because I was back counting and coming in only on really high counts. I had doubled my session roll and decided to go to a CSM and ended up winning a bit more. At $5 you are only loosing like 2c per hand or about $1.50 per hour depending on how fast the table plays.
To add even more value to your cover, backcount the CSM before you sit down. =) Even if they suspect you of backcounting, they'll think you're some weirdass System player, trying to take down a CSM. Heck, count out loud as you play, but incorrectly.

halcyon1234

QFIT said:
If you have been counting for awhile; it is very difficult not to count. The hard part is playing Poker and not counting the cards. Or seeing license plate numbers.
You should count while playing Poker. And announce that you are. It just might throw somoene off. =)

ScottH

QFIT said:
Everytime I look down and see my 83 offsuit and it comes to my turn I almost blurt out "Double Down!", but that might give away that I have a crappy hand! :laugh:

dacium

Changing from BJ to Poker and back always get me into trouble. I get 83 in poker and my eyes light up also until i remember what game im playing. I actually went to flop once on 92 because I forgot what the hell i was doing.

$10 AUS is over $7.20 US now. So thats our minimum tables and soon they will be $15 so about $11US. And they are slowly squeezing out shoes and replacing with CSMs. I meant on the CSMS that they approach 60-90 hands per hour with 7 players (from what I have counted anyway). I tend to play late in early hours of morning were people are playing more like machines. I played early in evening and only got like 25-30 hands an hour with all the crap going and people back betting and side betting like crazy.

Last edited:

rogue1

here's the funny thing

I know what Scanner is talking about. Funny thing is I can sit down at the table wanting to just play Basic Strategy and I can't stop myself from counting anyway! Go figure.