Ploppy heaven

Thunder

Why do the vast majority of ploppies think they're supposed to stand on 12 vs a dealer 2 or 3 for a multiple deck game. There's no possibly logic I can think of which would lead one to even think of doing this other than if they were counting but that clearly hasn't been the case. It's got to be the most common ploppy move there is other than standing on a soft 18 vs dealer 9 or higher. As a running joke, I had a bet going with this ploppy that he wouldn't bust if he had hit his 12. Even after me being right 7 times in a row, he still insisted he was right. I gave up trying to convince him after that as some people are just to dumb to help.

StandardDeviant

It's probably because they've been taught to think that the next card will be a 10. There are more 10s in a deck that any specific low card, so there is a logic, albeit incorrect, to thinking this way. They fail to realize that, while there are more 10s than any specific low card, in aggregate there are more low cards than 10s, and therefore the probability of getting a low card is greater than the probability of pulling a 10.

shadroch

one of the first lessons a newbie learns is not to to take a card that might bust them when the dealer has a potential bust as well. In most cases, this is correct. In the situation you mention, it is wrong, but at least there is a touch of logic to it, flawed as it is.

GeorgeD

StandardDeviant said:
It's probably because they've been taught to think that the next card will be a 10. There are more 10s in a deck that any specific low card, so there is a logic, albeit incorrect, to thinking this way. They fail to realize that, while there are more 10s than any specific low card, in aggregate there are more low cards than 10s, and therefore the probability of getting a low card is greater than the probability of pulling a 10.
Then why does it seem like my 12's always bust? :flame:

I just may hate 12 more than 17!

shadroch

The best way to avoid busting on twelve is to double down on it. It's widely known that doubling any hand but ten will quite often result in drawing an Ace.:joker:

GeorgeD

shadroch said:
The best way to avoid busting on twelve is to double down on it. It's widely known that doubling any hand but ten will quite often result in drawing an Ace.:joker:
Are you crazy!!!!! Not only will you take the dealer's bust card on that hand, you will ruin the flow. You NEVER ruin the flow when the table is on a streak, only when they are losing in which case the person at third base must be sacrificed (like a virgin) to restore the flow.

ycming

Some guy one said " when i double on 11 i always get **** card but when i double on 12 i get a good card so now i always double on 12"

Ming

blackchipjim

Oh yeah

I was sitting next to a guy that would always double a 12 against anything the dealer had. The bad thing was is that the guy made it most of the time and with a big bet out too. When the dealer was asked why she had to announce doubling on a hard twelve she said she had to call unusual plays for the pit. Later when the guy left I told her if she called all the stupid plays she would lose her voice around here.

GeorgeD said:
Are you crazy!!!!! Not only will you take the dealer's bust card on that hand, you will ruin the flow. You NEVER ruin the flow when the table is on a streak, only when they are losing in which case the person at third base must be sacrificed (like a virgin) to restore the flow.
I would hit 12 against the dealer's 12 or 13 if the table has more 10's than babies. There are 96 babies and 96 10's in a six deck. I play wrong sometime in order to get the pit boss off my back. Here one,stand on 16 against the 7,and have my BS card with me, to make it look like a green horn. I would never double down on 12 against the 5 or 6.That is wasting too much money.

Harry
Go Jets

PS I also practice dice control.:)