Probably a dumb question

Hey,

I'm in the middle of Blackbelt in Blackjack and i've noticed that Snyder is always saying, the bigger the bet spread the more advantage a player has. I know the answer may be obvious but can someone explain to me why a 1 to 10 bet spread gives the player more advantage than 1 to 4?

sagefr0g

calisurfer619 said:
Hey,

I'm in the middle of Blackbelt in Blackjack and i've noticed that Snyder is always saying, the bigger the bet spread the more advantage a player has. I know the answer may be obvious but can someone explain to me why a 1 to 10 bet spread gives the player more advantage than 1 to 4?
my guess it's the idea of the more spread the more proportionality you can get your various sizes of bets in line with size of advantage that presents.
with less spread the less you can fit the size of your bet to the size of the advantage. so the larger the spread the better you can keep from overbetting. and it can in a hypothetical sense keep you from underbetting.

White Guy

Ideally you would want to just sit there and watch when you don't have an advantage but for camo you have to make a bet while waiting for the count to rise and you want that bet to be as small as you can get away with. Your big bet is proportionate to your BR and an acceptable ROR for you. The smaller your min bets are the better for you because you are betting less when you have a dissadvantage or very slight advantage. That is why teams are nice because you can achieve a 1-100 spread without suspicion because two guys are betting the same one is just telling you when you have the advantage. You couldn't sit down and bet 5$ for twenty hands and than $500for a few than back to five without getting barred but if you could it would be great. Simply put the smaller bets serve the purpose of getting the count up so you can gain an edge the smaller you can bet there the better for you.

Kasi

calisurfer619 said:
Well I guess it might be true.

But I'm gonna assume if you change your spread you'll do it such a way to keep your risk the same in each case. In which case your unit size at 1-4 wouldn't be your unit size with 1-10.

And in some scenarios, like maybe back-counting, the gain from larger spreads can be very marginal so why bother.

Kasi, Oh No You Didn't

Kasi
I know you didn't say the increase in advantage would be minor so why bother?

Everything depends on getting every iota of advantage.

or

I am being facetious! :joker::whip:

Kasi

blackjack avenger said:
Kasi
I know you didn't say the increase in advantage would be minor so why bother?

Everything depends on getting every iota of advantage.

or

I am being facetious! :joker::whip:
You had me at hello - I mean :whip:

:grin:

Heck, I didn't even know what he meant by "advantage" lol. Highest avg win rate as a percent? Most dollars won in an hour? etc.

In what game, etc.

Did he mean 100-400 but 1-10 would be 40-400 or 100-1000 or even 75-750?

You just can't say in a vaccuum lol.

That "minor" stuff was my attempt at practical spreads thinking especially of back-counters lol.

But I guess it usually can be more than a "minor" difference and "better" in "play-all" stuff but often involves changing min unit size.