Question about Indices

WABJ11

When the count calls for a deviation from basic strategy like standing on a 15 vs 10 or 16 vs 10, does this apply to a dealer up card of 7, 8, 9, and A as well?

tripsix

No, answers not far though!

Check out the 'Blackjack School' on the left side of your screen. It will answer many of your questions.

Sonny

WABJ11 said:
When the count calls for a deviation from basic strategy like standing on a 15 vs 10 or 16 vs 10, does this apply to a dealer up card of 7, 8, 9, and A as well?
No, there are different numbers for each upcard. The Frequently Asked Questions thread at the top of this forum has a good explanation with some examples.

-Sonny-

WABJ11

I looked but couldn't find anything. Is there a link?

This doesn't make sense to me. I can understand maybe hitting against an Ace. But if a 10 is up that means there is one less remaining which would favor hitting.

If a 7-9 is up then the odds of another 10 being left are even greater, so I would think you should stand.

I checked out Blackjack school but I'm playing double deck and I'm using red seven so the indices are a different.

Last edited:

Sonny

WABJ11 said:
I looked but couldn't find anything. Is there a link?
It's the fifth thread from the top (sticky). Here's a link:

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9666

WABJ11 said:
If a 7-9 is up then the odds of another 10 being left are even greater, so I would think you should stand.
If you are counting cards then you already have an idea of how many big cards are left. Looking at the current TC will give you more information than only looking at the dealer's upcard (which you have already counted).

WABJ11 said:
This doesn't make sense to me. I can understand maybe hitting against an Ace. But if a 10 is up that means there is one less remaining which would favor hitting.
You're only thinking about your hand. What anout the dealer's hand? If the dealer is showing a 7 then her final hand probabilities are much different than if she shows a 9 (or any other card). Here is a link that shows the final probabilities for each upcard:

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bjtourn-dealercharts.php

Looking at your own hand is only one piece of the puzzle. You have to think about what the dealer's hand will likely be.

-Sonny-

Last edited: