Question for the High-Low Masters

boneuphtoner

So, I bought the Blackjack Institute's manual and training DVD. What surprised me was that many of the indices included fractional numbers. For example, 12 versus 3, stand at +1.5! How many of you guys play this way?

rrwoods

No way, I fudge indices 1 or 2 TC's in order to memorize them easier. Doesn't hurt accuracy that much really and it means you have more brain space for more indices meaning you actually get more value from them.

I used fractional indexes for insurance for SD and DD games (+1.5 hilo for SD, +2.5 hilo for DD, rounded to nearest .5). I also made composition-based adjustments. I don't claim this made much difference, but my thought was that, not only is insurance the single most important count-based strategy departure, its index also happens to be right in between two integers.

I suspect that, though fractional insurance indexes are worth little, they are still probably more valuable than some of the soft double and split indexes I learned. Are they worth it? Well, learning more (or more refined) indexes doesn't add much difficulty to counting. Using a more complicated count, however, can be a significant increase in difficulty. So for almost no extra work, you get slightly more than no extra money :)

Bojack1

boneuphtoner said:
So, I bought the Blackjack Institute's manual and training DVD. What surprised me was that many of the indices included fractional numbers. For example, 12 versus 3, stand at +1.5! How many of you guys play this way?
I believe they give you mathematical shortcuts in TC conversion as well. Using these shortcuts allow incredible ease in reaching fractional accurate TC's. So using these numbers for indice play usually takes less effort than figuring which way to go, up or down, with a whole number estimate.

21gunsalute

boneuphtoner said:
Well, that explains why one of my sources says to stand on 12 v 3 @ 1, and another says @ 2.

QFIT

They're the original MIT indexes. Created before people realized how silly fractional indexes are. There is a tiny gain in Insurance as the index is important and it is the ONLY linear index in Blackjack. But, I wouldn't bother with it either.

Sonny

boneuphtoner said:
How many of you guys play this way?
I do. But, as others have said, I don't claim that there's any big advantage to it. It's just how I was taught. It's certainly a boost to your confidence to know the TC to a few decimal places before the dealer has even placed the discards in the rack, but the extra accuracy (assuming your deck estimation is correct!) doesn't give you much extra info.

-Sonny-

boneuphtoner said:
Greetings,

Although that this is probably accurate I would question the gain from knowing this "fractional" index. Assuming that this is a hi-low index (I use the ZEN) then due to the PE of only 0.51, I would imagine that the gain would be very small. Furthermore, as we know from Griffins book, every situation has a different effect of removal for each card, which is used to determine the playing efficiency of that particular index for that system. For this particular play we have:

SYS A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 T
PERFECT -0.47 -0.06 -0.25 -1.25 -1.41 -1.56 -1.65 -1.81 -1.41 2.46
HI-LOW -1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 -1

As can be seen from this play alone, the Hi-Low doesn't really capture the true effect of removal for each card. The issue is that notice how important 7's,8's,9's for this play, yet they are not even counted in Hi-Low. Furthermore, notice how much more beneficial a removal of a ten is. Almost 2.5X more than Hi-Low says for this play. This will be true in general for determining whether to hit 12's, 13's, and 14's. I would imagine for this situation, the PE is much lower than 0.51. This is the main reason why multilevel and/or multiparameter systems are better at capturing strategic departures. They are more correlated to the true effect of removal for each card in more situations.

One more thing that some of you may already know, by using a multilevel counting system, you in effect kind of have fractional indices compared to hi-low. For example, the index for 12v3 in the Zen Count (Multideck) is TC of +3. This occurs as frequently as a TC +1.5 in hi-low and in fact there would be a strong correlation that if two people were counting a shoe, one using Zen and the other using hi-low that the Zen player would say the TC were +3 while the Hi-Low player would say that the TC were +1.5. This is because to first order, the effect of removal for the two systems are roughly a factor of 2 for each card.

I hope this helps.

ycming

David Spence said:
I used fractional indexes for insurance for SD and DD games (+1.5 hilo for SD, +2.5 hilo for DD, rounded to nearest .5). I also made composition-based adjustments. I don't claim this made much difference, but my thought was that, not only is insurance the single most important count-based strategy departure, its index also happens to be right in between two integers.

I suspect that, though fractional insurance indexes are worth little, they are still probably more valuable than some of the soft double and split indexes I learned. Are they worth it? Well, learning more (or more refined) indexes doesn't add much difficulty to counting. Using a more complicated count, however, can be a significant increase in difficulty. So for almost no extra work, you get slightly more than no extra money :)
You put the extra effort in learn fractional indicies ... but yet you use hi-lo for SD and DD game?

Use a count where you side count the ace!!!