Question re ROR calculation

matt21

Could someone please confirm that I am making my ROR calculation correctly?

Assume the following:
Hands played per hour = 136
Return per hour = 1.22 units
Bankroll = 1,280 units

SD per hand = 2.46

Is it fine for me to use hourly figures for calculating ROR?
i.e. SD/hour = Sqrt(136) * 2.46 = 28.66 units
Return per hour = 1.22 units

Thus ROR =((1-[1.22/28.66])/(1+[1.22/28.66]))^(1280/28.66)
= 2.22%

or is it necessary for me to calculate ROR using figures per hand

i.e Return per hand and SD/hand
would the return per hand simply be equal to Return/hour divided by hands played
i.e. 1.22 units / 136 = 0.0089 units/hand
then ROR
=((1-[0.0089/2.46])/(1+[0.0089/2.46]))^(1280/2.46)

That calculations results in 2.32%

In this case the per-hand results are quite close to the per-hour result. Would that always be the case?

Kasi

matt21 said:
Would that always be the case?
I'd think so. I'd even think they should maybe yield identical results.

If you carried more decimals around, I'd think your results would be much closer to the same.

Where I always get a little confused is like what if you were playing 75 hands of every hundred seen, then I guess you might have to adjust the win per round?

Why?

Why would you adjust win per round?
The per round advantage should be the same?
Now, I believe many EV calculations are based on 100 hands, and that is perhaps assumed to be an hour of play.

Then it matters if you get 100 hands an hour or not! One could get less or more!:joker::whip:

matt21

blackjack avenger said:
Now, I believe many EV calculations are based on 100 hands, and that is perhaps assumed to be an hour of play.

Then it matters if you get 100 hands an hour or not! One could get less or more!:joker::whip:
In my model, the EV is driven by the number of hands, in this case 136, rather than a round '100' number so i think that works fine.

by the way thanks for all the replies :)

Kasi

blackjack avenger said:
Why would you adjust win per round?
The per round advantage should be the same?

Well I guess I just meant, not that I'm saying Matt was or wasn't or anything, but, if it happened to be true he/anyone sat a table that dealt 136/hds/hr but for some reason he only physically played 3 of every 4 hands dealt, then, if all he knew is his EV was 1.22 units for 136 hands (seen or played) that he would have to maybe adjust his EV per hand.

It just that it seemed he didn't actually know his EV/round for some reason but only knew his EV for 136 hands defined as 1 hour of time.

Likewise, if that happened to be the case and all he knows his SD is 2.46 per hand but doesn't play all hands, maybe that would have to be adjusted too to get an hourly SD.

I guess all that hourly EV stuff is, at least maybe to me, more intended so one can compare the best use of one's time from one game to another.

Like would you rather make $5/hd but only be able to play 20/hds/hr or $1 but could play 120/hds/hr.

And like if his model only assumes 136 hds/hr and all he knows 10 hours later is that he played for 10 hours what if sometimes there were more players and he played fewer hands? I guess that's why it just seems simplest to me to know the per round stuff, come home estimate rounds played, put the time down too if you want, but knowing the ~rounds you played is to me more important than knowing how long you've played. Easier to figure results too lol.

Not to mention, if one happens to spread to 2 hands sometimes, is that 2 hands, perhaps included in the 136 "hands" or does it really mean 136 rounds?

Leave it to me to make a mountain of a molehill :grin: :whip: