SBA on (KNOPPIX 6.4.4 in USB Flash Drive + Wine)???

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried running SBA 5.0 (Statistical Blackjack Analyzer) on Ubuntu Linux with wine. It installed fine, but when I try to start a simulation nothing happens. In the normal program that would open a text mode window. That may not work under Wine.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I think Norm reports having users successfully running CV, CVCX, and CVData under Wine. My attempts failed but I didn't really work at figuring out why.

Anyone else with experience in that?

Install Windows 98 SE onto a Flash Drive

I am a big fan of SBA(Statistical Blackjack Analyzer).

My PC is Intel core i7 and Win 7 64-bit.
My recent finding was, SBA runs significantly faster
with (VMware Player + Win98SE) than with (VMware Player + WinXP).
I feel, about 10 times faster on Win98SE than on WinXP.

and also, I found a curious thing.
This YouTube video suggests that,
Win98SE can be installed on USB flash momery.
then, may be, SBA will run even faster on USB-Win98SE,

If someone tested, please tell me.

QFIT

Mersenne Twister said:
I am a big fan of SBA(Statistical Blackjack Analyzer).

My PC is Intel core i7 and Win 7 64-bit.
My recent finding was, SBA runs significantly faster
with (VMware Player + Win98SE) than with (VMware Player + WinXP).
I feel, about 10 times faster on Win98SE than on WinXP.

and also, I found a curious thing.
This YouTube video suggests that,
Win98SE can be installed on USB flash momery.
then, may be, SBA will run even faster on USB-Win98SE,

If someone tested, please tell me.
SBA has a problem with multiple cores and hyperthreading, which is probably the reason. This is due to the way it communicates between its front-end and the DOS box in which the sim runs. Basically, you need either a very old chip or very old OS that doesn't see the multiple cores. It's also one of the reasons CVData is about 70 times the speed of SBA on a modern processor. The newer the chip, the better. Should be over 100 times the speed of SBA on an i7-Extreme due out later this year. If you can hide the multiple cores from SBA, you may get some speed back.

BTW, on my new machine, I am getting 60 million rounds in one second. (Dead link: http://www.qfit.com/blackjackblog/?p=189)

QFIT said:
SBA has a problem with multiple cores and hyperthreading, which is probably the reason. This is due to the way it communicates between its front-end and the DOS box in which the sim runs. Basically, you need either a very old chip or very old OS that doesn't see the multiple cores. It's also one of the reasons CVData is about 70 times the speed of SBA on a modern processor. The newer the chip, the better. Should be over 100 times the speed of SBA on an i7-Extreme due out later this year. If you can hide the multiple cores from SBA, you may get some speed back.

BTW, on my new machine, I am getting 60 million rounds in one second. (Dead link: http://www.qfit.com/blackjackblog/?p=189)
But will it run on WINE?

60m per second? That's 6B in two minutes? Is my arithmetic right?
Thats the #hands simmed that Revere paid Braun and IBM Data Center $6,000 to run in 1970 and took like 2 weeks on the IBM 704A?

Just wait untill you can run CV on a quantum computer... then we'll finally unlock the truly deep secrets of the game! z:laugh:g

QFIT

zengrifter said:
But will it run on WINE?
No idea. But, I run on wine quite well.:)

zengrifter said:
60m per second? That's 6B in two minutes? Is my arithmetic right?
Thats the #hands simmed that Revere paid Braun and IBM Data Center $6,000 to run in 1970 and took like 2 weeks on the IBM 704A?

Just wait untill you can run CV on a quantum computer... then we'll finally unlock the truly deep secrets of the game! z:laugh:g
I ran a Checkers sim on an IBM 7040 (a bit faster than the 704) back in the 60s. I've seen humans play Checkers faster.

QFIT

Using GPUs for sims is certainly an interesting idea, and has been done. However, GPUs are known for fast floating point calcs, needed for many types of simulation -- but not Blackjack.