Seat Position and 2 spots

Hi. I have two short question.

1. Does the seat position around the table affects your results in your winning rate? Why many people doesnt like to be the last player, before dealer? Does this player has more responsability/pressure in the table?

2. Is it a good idea to play two spots at the same time? Some people like this because they say that normally they support the lost hands in one spot with the winning hands of the other spot. Is this true?

Thanks

SleightOfHand

Pablo said:
Hi. I have two short question.

1. Does the seat position around the table affects your results in your winning rate? Why many people doesnt like to be the last player, before dealer? Does this player has more responsability/pressure in the table?

2. Is it a good idea to play two spots at the same time? Some people like this because they say that normally they support the lost hands in one spot with the winning hands of the other spot. Is this true?

Thanks
1. Being seated at 3rd base lets you see more cards before making your playing decisions, giving you a slightly higher advantage (if you are counting cards). Ploppies (people that are unskilled in the game) believe that being last has a responsibility of giving a "bust card" to the dealer. However, there is no such responsibility as there is no way to do this without proper technique (10 steering).

2. If you are counting cards, playing 2 hands in positive counts when there are multiple players at the table will give an increase to your advantage. If you are not counting cards, you are losing money twice as fast.

ycming

SleightOfHand said:
1. Being seated at 3rd base lets you see more cards before making your playing decisions, giving you a slightly higher advantage (if you are counting cards). Ploppies (people that are unskilled in the game) believe that being last has a responsibility of giving a "bust card" to the dealer. However, there is no such responsibility as there is no way to do this without proper technique (10 steering).

2. If you are counting cards, playing 2 hands in positive counts when there are multiple players at the table will give an increase to your advantage. If you are not counting cards, you are losing money twice as fast.
IF seating at third base give you more information, then will seating at the last base yeild even more information?

another if the TC is high, wouldn't you like to be at the first spot so you get as close to the TC as possible?

Thanks
Ming

k47k

Third base is the last position (to the left when facing the dealer)
First base is the first position (to the right when facing the dealer)

Sonny

ycming said:
IF seating at third base give you more information, then will seating at the last base yeild even more information?
Third base is the last seat at the table. First base is the first and centerfield is the middle. I don't know of any clever names for the rest of the seats. :)

ycming said:
if the TC is high, wouldn't you like to be at the first spot so you get as close to the TC as possible?
On average, the TC will be the same when you get your cards no matter where you sit at the table. Besides, the person at first base only gets his first card from the top of the shoe. His second card comes after every other player gets a card.

-Sonny-

SecurityRisk

Sonny said:
Third base is the last seat at the table. First base is the first and centerfield is the middle. I don't know of any clever names for the rest of the seats. :)
Not used too often, but I have heard of the seat next to first base refered to as second base, and, I think only once, I heard of the seat next to third base refered to as shortstop.

hawkeye

I think there are some slight logic flaws going on with the insistence that 3rd base helps because you get to see more cards, that's technically only true on the very last hand of a shoe.

If you're sitting 1st base, after your 2nd card is dealt you get to see more cards before getting to decide if you are going to hit. The count can definitely change between the time you get your 2nd card and when you have the chance to hit or stand. It's nearly the same logic as saying that 3rd base gives you the best chance.

Also, if I'm sitting 1st base I get to watch everyone else behind me take cards and I have the best chance of getting the good count when the next hand comes out. 3rd base may sit and watch during that next hand as all of the high cards are dealt to everyone else, and he's already put out a higher bet.

On the very last hand of the shoe though, undoubtedly 3rd base has the advantage. I would imagine overall though, any advantage is small.

Ferretnparrot

The two seats that are most awesome for playing two hands are 1st base, and third base.

These are the reasons why they are better than other spots
-In either spot, you can occupie the outermost chair and easily place bets on the betting spot 1 spot over, this allows you to strategically play only one hand, while reserving the second spot for yourself, since it is very unlikely for a player to appraoch you and ask you to change the spot you are betting on so he/she can enter, or ask you to move to the chair next to you so they can sit in yours, and play the end spot.

Playing one or two hands strategically is a good way to manipulate your exposure to positive and negetive EV events.

In addition, while playing third base, playing one and two hands selectively sometimes convinced peopel to leave the table.

Nazgul

hawkeye said:
If you're sitting 1st base, after your 2nd card is dealt you get to see more cards before getting to decide if you are going to hit.
I think you have it backwards. If you are at 1st base then you have to play your hand first so you don't get to see any extra cards. At 3rd base you get to play last so you can see all of the other players hit cards.

hawkeye

No, I wasn't mistaken. I meant what I wrote, and I was 100% correct. Like I posted above, there's some serious logical missteps going on with the assumption that 3rd base is best, you're not taking the large sample into account. You're only looking at the sampling that you want to see.

Say the table is full of 7 players, and you are at first base. You get the first card, then 7 more come out (6 players + dealer). Then you get the next card, again you get to watch 7 more cards come out before you have the chance to hit. 7 cards can change the count, it can change the TC drastically in the later portions of a shoe. So the fact that you get to hit at that point can be a good thing. You've just got the opportunity to hit first after seeing a good amount of cards come out.

Conversely, imagine this scenario (has happened to me). You're sitting 3rd base at a full table. The count is good, you have a 4x unit bet out. You get to see 7 cards come out in the first go round (don't see dealers down card) and then 8 cards in the next go round (15). Then the other six players will take an average of .7 more cards each, rounding down to 4 more cards. So at that point you have out a large bet based on a count that has now had the possibility to be changed be the dealing of 19 more cards.

Think about it, it's possible that sitting at 3rd base can hurt you because you're making a bet size based on a count that might not be even close to what it is by the time you get to choose to hit or stand.

I honestly don't think the differences are going to be that huge in terms of percentages, or that stark in terms of those "certain" situations where the count changes drastically. But it's possible.

Also I think a lot of people might say that the answer is to not play at such crowded tables.

Pablo.
the following is an exert from the book Knockout-Blackjack. It is a mathematical equation which may help you understand that it is not the seat you are in or how other people play their hands that effect your hands, or even what the count is you still have to go through the same number of cards.
a5teve.

Attachments

Dyepaintball12

I like to seat at the end of the table because I feel like i have more time to count the cards as they come out before I need to make a decision. (but i am newer)

1st and 3rd base are the best for counting cards. there is less head movement. The end seats mean you can just move your eyes to follow the count. If you do get stuck in the middle you need act like you care what everyone else gets. Say nice cards or whatever when someone gets a 7 and 3.

Homeschool

Nice.....

Say the table is full of 7 players, and you are at first base. You get the first card, then 7 more come out (6 players + dealer). Then you get the next card, again you get to watch 7 more cards come out before you have the chance to hit. 7 cards can change the count, it can change the TC drastically in the later portions of a shoe. So the fact that you get to hit at that point can be a good thing. You've just got the opportunity to hit first after seeing a good amount of cards come out.

Conversely, imagine this scenario (has happened to me). You're sitting 3rd base at a full table. The count is good, you have a 4x unit bet out. You get to see 7 cards come out in the first go round (don't see dealers down card) and then 8 cards in the next go round (15). Then the other six players will take an average of .7 more cards each, rounding down to 4 more cards. So at that point you have out a large bet based on a count that has now had the possibility to be changed be the dealing of 19 more cards.

Think about it, it's possible that sitting at 3rd base can hurt you because you're making a bet size based on a count that might not be even close to what it is by the time you get to choose to hit or stand.

That makes alot of sense. I've never thought of it that way before. :rolleyes:

Deathclutch

hawkeye said:
No, I wasn't mistaken. I meant what I wrote, and I was 100% correct. Like I posted above, there's some serious logical missteps going on with the assumption that 3rd base is best, you're not taking the large sample into account. You're only looking at the sampling that you want to see.

I honestly don't think the differences are going to be that huge in terms of percentages, or that stark in terms of those "certain" situations where the count changes drastically. But it's possible.

Also I think a lot of people might say that the answer is to not play at such crowded tables.
I started a thread on this idea recently. I was told that 3rd base was still more advantegous, but I definately see what you're saying with this.