Slow down....simple question

I know this will probably bring a lot of varying answers but hopefully some consitancy will be found.....

...I'm ready for Card Counting. I bought KO blackjack after lots of positive things read here and elsewhere about it.. I've read through the whole thing and realize If I try it all at once, I will fail.

Here's my proposed implementation. Nothing to support it, just a theory.

step 1)play BS only with flat-betting for while while counting to ensure that I can indeed count.

step 2)start adding a bet spread and insurance(when the count calls for it)

step 3)add the illustrious 18

Any flaw here? I guess my real question is should I swap 2 & 3. Which is easier/better EV? the I18 or the spread?

Thanks again guys!!

Neo said:
I know this will probably bring a lot of varying answers but hopefully some consitancy will be found.....

...I'm ready for Card Counting. I bought KO blackjack after lots of positive things read here and elsewhere about it.. I've read through the whole thing and realize If I try it all at once, I will fail.

Here's my proposed implementation. Nothing to support it, just a theory.

step 1)play BS only with flat-betting for while while counting to ensure that I can indeed count.

step 2)start adding a bet spread and insurance(when the count calls for it)

step 3)add the illustrious 18

Any flaw here? I guess my real question is should I swap 2 & 3. Which is easier/better EV? the I18 or the spread?

Thanks again guys!!

My vote is for 1-3-2. This came up in a different thread. There is no question that the spread is more important than the I-18 in counting. However, the spread is what gives you the risk as well as EV, and if you are playing without insurance and/or the I-18, your risk goes up, and that's the last thing you want when you are just learning.

So assuming you can find a table with really low minimum, flat-betting while counting and using indices is a really cheap way to get your education. Just a word of warning though: you don't use all of the I-18 all the time. I can't remember the last time I used DD 10 vs. A. Some of these plays come up only once in a thousand hands or so, so you won't get a lot of practice using them.

One thing that helps is knowing what the I-18 hands are, even if the count is not right to play it. Every time I see 10 vs. A I think "This is an index play", and a second or two later I recall exactly what that index is supposed to be and make my decision. In reality there are only about 7 index plays (plus insurance)that come up often in a game without late surrender(16 vs. 10, 12 vs. 2, 12 vs 3, 12 vs. 4, 12 vs.6, DD 9 vs 2, DD 11 vs A) and you can add 4 more if LS is available. (16 vs. 9, 16 vs. A, 15 vs. 10, 14 vs 10) Learning these first is a good start.