Smut peddlers on the strip

21forme

kewljason said:
I don't think anyone finds these 'snapper' people pleasant, but I guess they have a legal right to be there and it seems to be a part of the vegas culture now.
That's why Vegas is such a sh*t hole. Regarind legal rights, do you really think these guys are legally in the US?

aslan

prankster said:
Aslan-
Use the Cheech & Chong idea-put out a big sign reading something like "Give A Love Offering For Brother Aslans' Pediatric Leper Colony"! Hey-you collect like crazy and NO TAXES!
I think I like "Brother Aslan's Personal Wealth Fund" and let the chips fall where they will. And what do you mean, no taxes? Any income, from whatever source, is presumed to be income under section 61, Internal Revenue Code, unless the taxpayer can establish that it is specifically exempted or excluded. I think Uncle Sam will want to see a few kid lepers and see where the money goes before they will approve any exemption, whereas my Personal Wealth Fund is completely above board and pays taxes toward the general welfare of the United States. What could be more patriotic? I will also give my lady friends a couple little American flags to wave. Maybe outfit them in red, white and blue bikinis, too. ;)

shadroch

21forme said:
That's why Vegas is such a sh*t hole. Regarind legal rights, do you really think these guys are legally in the US?
If you broke the law to get to Vegas by speeding on the way there, would you be legal in Vegas?

blackchipjim

Looking down?

It is quite a bother to have so many poor people preying on us wealthy people isn't it? I walk past the faceless people that resort to handing out flyers for whatever or try to sell the crucifixs made of palm leaves and wonder about life. Here I am walking past a multitude of people that are most likely down on their luck in one of the most lavish cities in the world. Pity comes to mind and very thankfull that I have not been chosen to live a similiar life. It makes me sad to see human wreckage on the street and ask if there is a way to change it before I leave this earth. Remember you can't fake no legs so if you see the guy in the wheelchair with none give him a buck for nothing because you have your's.

kewljason

blackchipjim said:
It is quite a bother to have so many poor people preying on us wealthy people isn't it? I walk past the faceless people that resort to handing out flyers for whatever or try to sell the crucifixs made of palm leaves and wonder about life. Here I am walking past a multitude of people that are most likely down on their luck in one of the most lavish cities in the world. Pity comes to mind and very thankfull that I have not been chosen to live a similiar life. It makes me sad to see human wreckage on the street and ask if there is a way to change it before I leave this earth. Remember you can't fake no legs so if you see the guy in the wheelchair with none give him a buck for nothing because you have your's.
First of all, those people handing out flyers all have faces? :confused: 2 eyes, nose, mouth, chin. The whole works. (maybe not all their teeth) :laugh:

I don't feel guilty that I have my legs. :confused: That doesn't make sense to me. You are correct that you can't fake no legs, but you can take advantage of it. There is a guy (or was) in AC, younger guy, mid 30's I would say. Sits on the ground on the boardwalk, in army fatigues, with one leg pant rolled up exposing his missing leg. He actually never asks people for money, just sits there with a bucket in front of him. Now here's the thing. I don't know if this gentleman lost his leg in the service of his country or not. That seems to be what he is trying to portray. But I do know this. I have seen him walking down the boardwalk and on the street when his prosthetic leg is attached and he barely walks with a limp. Unless you are looking, you wouldn't even notice. I have also seem him drinking in the Irish pub. I have watched him walk to his spot on the boardwalk, sit down, wait until not many folks are nearby and remove his leg, place it behind where he sits and cover it with jacket or cloth and roll up his pants leg. :confused: Now again, I don't know how the fellow lost his leg and it really doesn't matter, except again, without saying so, he is portraying it as war related, IMO. But the fact is, whether or not he lost his leg as he is portraying or not, he most assuredly is on disability. I understand that disability may be minimal, but he has the ability to supplement that by working. The loss of his leg below the knee doesn't disqualify him from doing many jobs. Many people with far greater disabilities hold jobs. In Philadelphia I would frequently see a bicycle messenger who lost his leg above the knee. No prosthetic. Most astonishing thing I have seen. Anyway, back to the AC guy. He chooses to supplement his income and/or get drinking money by preying on the guilt of people. I am sorry that he lost his leg, however it happened, but I don't feel sorry for him. :eek:

Last edited:

aslan

kewljason said:
First of all, those people handing out flyers all have faces? :confused: 2 eyes, nose, mouth, chin. The whole works. (maybe not all their teeth) :laugh:

I don't feel guilty that I have my legs. :confused: That doesn't make sense to me. You are correct that you can't fake no legs, but you can take advantage of it. There is a guy (or was) in AC, younger guy, mid 30's I would say. Sits on the ground on the boardwalk, in army fatigues, with one leg pant rolled up exposing his missing leg. He actually never asks people for money, just sits there with a bucket in front of him. Now here's the thing. I don't know if this gentleman lost his leg in the service of his country or not. That seems to be what he is trying to portray. But I do know this. I have seen him walking down the boardwalk and on the street when his prosthetic leg is attached and he barely walks with a limp. Unless you are looking, you wouldn't even notice. I have also seem him drinking in the Irish pub. I have watched him walk to his spot on the boardwalk, sit down, wait until not many folks are nearby and remove his leg, place it behind where he sits and cover it with jacket or cloth and roll up his pants leg. :confused: Now again, I don't know how the fellow lost his leg and it really doesn't matter, except again, without saying so, he is portraying it as war related, IMO. But the fact is, whether or not he lost his leg as he is portraying or not, he most assuredly is on disability. I understand that disability may be minimal, but he has the ability to supplement that by working. The loss of his leg below the knee doesn't disqualify him from doing many jobs. Many people with far greater disabilities hold jobs. In Philadelphia I would frequently see a bicycle messenger who lost his leg above the knee. No prosthetic. Most astonishing thing I have seen. Anyway, back to the AC guy. He chooses to supplement his income and/or get drinking money by preying on the guilt of people. I am sorry that he lost his leg, however it happened, but I don't feel sorry for him. :eek:
There are people who authentically need our help. But as you point out, there are people who take advantage of the fact that we have a heart for those less fortunate than ourselves. Because of that, I like to either turn my charity over to those who are professionals at dispensing of it, or else, doing my own investigation to find a worthy recipient, that is, not someone who is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Speaking of wool, and those who are professionals at dispensing of charity, beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. It's a tough world out there.

prankster

aslan said:
I think I like "Brother Aslan's Personal Wealth Fund" and let the chips fall where they will. And what do you mean, no taxes? Any income, from whatever source, is presumed to be income under section 61, Internal Revenue Code, unless the taxpayer can establish that it is specifically exempted or excluded. I think Uncle Sam will want to see a few kid lepers and see where the money goes before they will approve any exemption, whereas my Personal Wealth Fund is completely above board and pays taxes toward the general welfare of the United States. What could be more patriotic? I will also give my lady friends a couple little American flags to wave. Maybe outfit them in red, white and blue bikinis, too. ;)
Aslan-
It's admirable that you want to pay those taxes-and smart to get the babes waving those american flags-good move. However-you can keep a bunch of the cash you take in by doing what all those tv evangelist folks do-declare yourself a church-the mighty I.R.S. won't come near you! Note: I'm guessing they send a case of canned beans to a far away country once a year so they can claim they send food to the needy in other countries. Praise the goodness!:joker:

aslan

prankster said:
Aslan-
It's admirable that you want to pay those taxes-and smart to get the babes waving those american flags-good move. However-you can keep a bunch of the cash you take in by doing what all those tv evangelist folks do-declare yourself a church-the mighty I.R.S. won't come near you! Note: I'm guessing they send a case of canned beans to a far away country once a year so they can claim they send food to the needy in other countries. Praise the goodness!:joker:
You mean I can't consider myself needy and send the money to me, myself and I? Dang tax law! Too many rules!

Okay, you've convinced me. I'll have one of the girls hold up a picture of a little black boy with puppy dog eyes and a bloated little tummy. The caption, which will be too small to read, will say, "This is my neighbor's kid at our block party after eating four hot dogs and half a watermelon." Then I'll sing Reverend Ike's little ditty about church bells ringing in your heart. And follow up with, "Won't you plant a little seed money here. The Lawd loves a cheerful giver. He will return a hundredfold. Thank you. Bless you. Thank you." As hired shills begin to drop paper money in my little sand bucket. Oh, and yes, I will send a can of beans UPS to Haiti for my tax exemption status. :cool2:

Dyepaintball12

If the people selling water were to buy cases at Sam's Club or Costco you can get 32-packs for just over $3. Sell each for $1 and you have yourself a business.

shadroch

Dyepaintball12 said:
If the people selling water were to buy cases at Sam's Club or Costco you can get 32-packs for just over $3. Sell each for $1 and you have yourself a business.
Sure, and if John Stossel saw you sell two bottles in one minute, fox would broadcast a story about these guys making $100 an hour.
You also need ice and coolers.
I know some Mexican kids who do this at the local highway exit. They can make $50 -$60 in a few hours on hot days. But some cops ticket them for obstructing traffic and one cop made them open and pour out all their inventory one day.

aslan

shadroch said:
Sure, and if John Stossel saw you sell two bottles in one minute, fox would broadcast a story about these guys making $100 an hour.
You also need ice and coolers.
I know some Mexican kids who do this at the local highway exit. They can make $50 -$60 in a few hours on hot days. But some cops ticket them for obstructing traffic and one cop made them open and pour out all their inventory one day.
I think John Stossel has more integrity than that. He may want to push his Libertarian agenda, but I doubt he would, or ever has, deliberately falsified information. I find him quite interesting, althoug he and Judge Napolitano always seem to be at loggersheads with conservatives more to the left like Bill O'Reilly.

moo321

aslan said:
I think John Stossel has more integrity than that. He may want to push his Libertarian agenda, but I doubt he would, or ever has, deliberately falsified information. I find him quite interesting, althoug he and Judge Napolitano always seem to be at loggersheads with conservatives more to the left like Bill O'Reilly.
I don't consider Bill O'Reilly conservative in the least. He, and about half of Fox News, are lapdogs for the Republican Party, and will just serve up their talking points, even if it contradicts positions they held very recently.

aslan

moo321 said:
I don't consider Bill O'Reilly conservative in the least. He, and about half of Fox News, are lapdogs for the Republican Party, and will just serve up their talking points, even if it contradicts positions they held very recently.
Well, an example of position changes by Bill O'Reilly would seem appropriate. Know any?

Personally, I find him very consistent, and don't believe the organization forces any particular point of view on him. The lapdog characterization seems far more fitting for liberal news shows who fire their people whenever they feel they have crossed the company line, for example, the firing of Lou Dobbs and Juan Williams. And to say that half of Fox News are lapdogs for the Republican Party is the same as saying they are twice as impartial as any of the liberal media, such as NBC, MSNBC, NPR, etc.

Anyway, Bill O'Reilly himself would not describe himself as a Liberal, but an Independent, although most of his thoughts appear quite conservative to me; hence, the blow up with Whoopie Goldberg and the constant criticisms of Bill Maher. Also, his closeness to Dennis Miller, a convert to conservatism from a liberal past. If he says he is independent, it is only because he does not want to be stereotyped and wants to reserve the right to adopt a liberal position on occasion. But truly, the closest he gets to the left is to the left of the Republican Party.

PS-- You may want to reply by PM, since political discussions is taboo. I just didn't want your opinion to go unchallenged. But I do respect your point of view.

Last edited:

shadroch

Lou Dobbs quit CNN, he was not fired. Juam williams was fired mostly because he continued to appear on the competition. you don't think Fox would fire an employee if he was a constant guest on another network.

aslan

shadroch said:
Lou Dobbs quit CNN, he was not fired. Juam williams was fired mostly because he continued to appear on the competition. you don't think Fox would fire an employee if he was a constant guest on another network.
Then NPR lied when they stated why he was fired.

No, I don't think Fox would fire a pundit because he was a constant guest on another network. So long as a pundit does not change his or her point of view when they appear on other networks, they pose no threat to their employer or multiple employers. Dennis Miller appears everywhere. Alan Colmes and many other Fox people do not even represent the predominant view of Fox News. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

They have a strict liberal point of view and sense of political correctness on NPR from which none may stray. I find many different points of view represented on Fox, and sometimes find shows anchored by persons who do not represent the same values as other Fox anchors, such as Geraldo, Judge Napolitano, and John Stossel.

Yes, Fox employees are frequently guests on other shows. But usually a person's duties are so time-consuming on one network that they scarcely have time for appearances on another.

BTW, my boss, a member of the Senior Executive Service, quit before they fired him (as they promised him they would do). You may say he quit, but he was, for all intents and purposes, fired.