So what's the deal with the El Cortez?

prankster

We've been to downtown numerous times and always go in the direction of Binions. Going to LV next month and I have to finally visit the El Cortez. I've read alot of differing opinions of the place and I'm not sure what to think. Is the 6 decker o.K.? Is the pit sweaty? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

I love playing at the Cortez. They have about the best single deck in town, along with some good double deck.

The pit gets sweaty if there is much black action and the dealers call checks play sometimes on 75 bucks, but no one in the pit is as nervous as the reputation of the place suggests. There was a well-publicized backrooming several years ago, but no doubt they learned a lesson from the related lawsuit. No one gives me any heat, but I'm just a light green player. Start betting $200 a hand and the pit will definitely try to distract you with stupid banter.

Comps are very generous - 3 hours of 10-15 bucks a hand can get you a tasty dinner. My complaint about the spaniard is that the dealers speak minimal english and aren't too friendly. But no one makes a big damned production out of my cigarette smoke (and some of the patrons are real characters). They're loose with the drinks if you tip. The Royal Match sidebet slows the game but that can be helpful if there is a full table. They only cut the deck little more than 50% though.

I always stay at EC when in town. Restaurants are excellent, rooms are dirt cheap and really pretty nice. I usually win some money, too. The single deck gives the house something like only .18-.26% advantage for a basic strategy player, I believe. As you can tell from my handle, I like this joint.

lovethespaniard said:
I love playing at the Cortez. They have about the best single deck in town, along with some good double deck.

The pit gets sweaty if there is much black action and the dealers call checks play sometimes on 75 bucks, but no one in the pit is as nervous as the reputation of the place suggests. There was a well-publicized backrooming several years ago, but no doubt they learned a lesson from the related lawsuit. No one gives me any heat, but I'm just a light green player. Start betting $200 a hand and the pit will definitely try to distract you with stupid banter.

Comps are very generous - 3 hours of 10-15 bucks a hand can get you a tasty dinner. My complaint about the spaniard is that the dealers speak minimal english and aren't too friendly. But no one makes a big damned production out of my cigarette smoke (and some of the patrons are real characters). They're loose with the drinks if you tip. The Royal Match sidebet slows the game but that can be helpful if there is a full table. They only cut the deck little more than 50% though.

I always stay at EC when in town. Restaurants are excellent, rooms are dirt cheap and really pretty nice. I usually win some money, too. The single deck gives the house something like only .18-.26% advantage for a basic strategy player, I believe. As you can tell from my handle, I like this joint.[/QUOTE

How many hands a dealer would play if you sit alone on the table? If the dealer cut the deck to 50%, I do not think the house only have .18-.26% advantage, someone smart may figure it out. Is the EC clouded, how many people usually sit on a single or double deck table?