Splitting 8's

yesiamred

mica said:
I confess that i am female....butI dont remember ever saying I was attractive. Not sure what I wrote that made u feel so mean?

I am a fairly new member...until this reply...my experience on this forum has been positive. If u r trying to drive new members away...your tactic will work.
Mica,

Please don't leave the forum...

It is their way of welcoming you in a wierd sort of way. I felt the same way after a few posts but then you just learn to fight back and/or ignore the comments. You are here to learn and possibly make some acquaintances along the way.

Consider it training to give you nerves of steel and to see just how much bs you will NOT take at the tables or this forum. Seriously, the majority of the members are extremely considerate and helpful and you will eventually learn who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't..

Keep up the great questions...
Red

21gunsalute

paddywhack said:
Take Genius with a pound of salt, two aspirin, and a bunch of hard liquor. Better yet you can just set your preferences to IGNORE him.
I think that is exactly what Wile E Coyote, Super Genius consumes before he posts.

bj bob

aslan said:
A Vegas dealer told me he never hits 16 against a dealer ten. I wonder if he knew how great a cover move that is.
I always try to have the PB flip a coin for me on 2 card 16's v. 10 with a dead even count. It makes them feel (more) important!

21gunsalute

bj bob said:
I always try to have the PB flip a coin for me on 2 card 16's v. 10 with a dead even count. It makes them feel (more) important!
Yeah, and the PB is saying "heads I win/tails you lose". That's how that phrase got started.

blackjacktilt said:
Don't let him bother you, he gets hammered on all of his postings so he has now found someone to hammer. Read, learn and have fun here. If someone is offensive they will be dealt with by our fearless moderators. As far as the splitting 8's vs. a ten.... I usually surrender. Many will tell me this is wrong on negative and correct on positive, but I'm a chicken.
It's not that big a deal, the only time it will be a "wrong" play is when you have a minimum bet down.

blackjacktilt

Automatic Monkey said:
It's not that big a deal, the only time it will be a "wrong" play is when you have a minimum bet down.
All about cover. Forgive my ignorance, but why would it be wrong with a min bet? I always assumed that strategy is strategy, and when you have the count you start deviating then. I know I need to plug holes in my game, and it's knowing things like this.
Thanks in advance Mr. Monkey.

Gamblor

blackjacktilt said:
All about cover. Forgive my ignorance, but why would it be wrong with a min bet? I always assumed that strategy is strategy, and when you have the count you start deviating then. I know I need to plug holes in my game, and it's knowing things like this.
You surrender 88 v 10 when TC is +1. All other times (when you have min bet) you should split, so its not deviating from strategy.

But I'm sure Mr. Monkey has other effects in mind beyond by the book CC strategy where he would consider not splitting 88 v 10 wrong with a minimum bet.

blackjacktilt said:
Because you always have a minimum bet down in a neutral or negative count, and in a neutral or negative count the right play would be to split instead of surrender. As soon as the count is high enough to justify an increased bet, the right play would be to surrender.

It's possible (and perfectly legitimate) to key your index plays to the number of units you are betting, instead of directly to the count, especially in a shoe game where there is not likely to be a big change in count between the time you make your bet and the time to play your hand.

Let's say you have a S17, LS game. You could set up an index system like this:

Below zero:
Hit 13 vs. 2, 13 vs. 3, 12 vs. 4
Hit 9 vs. 3
Don't surrender 15 vs. 10, 16 vs. 9, 16 vs. A

Bets above min:
Stand 12 vs. 3, multicard 16 vs. 10
Double 9 vs. 2, 11 vs. A
Surrender 88 vs. 10

Bets halfway to max:
Stand 12 vs. 2
Insure
Double 8 vs. 6, A8 vs. 5, A8 vs. 6
Surrender 14 vs. 10, 15 vs. 9, 15 vs. A

Bets at max:
Stand multicard 15 vs. 10, multicard 16 vs. 9
Double 8 vs. 5, 9 vs. 7, 10 vs. 10, 10 vs. A
Split TT vs. 5, TT vs. 6
Surrender 14 vs. 9, 14 vs. A, 16 vs. 8

You can play like this if you want, and as long as your betting ramp is the normal kind used for shoe games you will be just fine, and what's more is you can use a different count and it will all be the same! This is the way I learn indices, and the exact index number is optional and can be learned at your convenience.

blackjacktilt

Automatic Monkey said:
Because you always have a minimum bet down in a neutral or negative count, and in a neutral or negative count the right play would be to split instead of surrender. As soon as the count is high enough to justify an increased bet, the right play would be to surrender.

It's possible (and perfectly legitimate) to key your index plays to the number of units you are betting, instead of directly to the count, especially in a shoe game where there is not likely to be a big change in count between the time you make your bet and the time to play your hand.

Let's say you have a S17, LS game. You could set up an index system like this:

Below zero:
Hit 13 vs. 2, 13 vs. 3, 12 vs. 4
Hit 9 vs. 3
Don't surrender 15 vs. 10, 16 vs. 9, 16 vs. A

Bets above min:
Stand 12 vs. 3, multicard 16 vs. 10
Double 9 vs. 2, 11 vs. A
Surrender 88 vs. 10

Bets halfway to max:
Stand 12 vs. 2
Insure
Double 8 vs. 6, A8 vs. 5, A8 vs. 6
Surrender 14 vs. 10, 15 vs. 9, 15 vs. A

Bets at max:
Stand multicard 15 vs. 10, multicard 16 vs. 9
Double 8 vs. 5, 9 vs. 7, 10 vs. 10, 10 vs. A
Split TT vs. 5, TT vs. 6
Surrender 14 vs. 9, 14 vs. A, 16 vs. 8

You can play like this if you want, and as long as your betting ramp is the normal kind used for shoe games you will be just fine, and what's more is you can use a different count and it will all be the same! This is the way I learn indices, and the exact index number is optional and can be learned at your convenience.
Exactly the stuff I'm looking for. I'm not an "ABC" AP, but I obviously need many plugs. Much appreciated.

aslan

blackjacktilt said:
Don't know if that was for me, but I assure you I'm no ploppy.
Ode to Edward O. Thorp

Advantage play, how sweet the discovery
that saved a ploppy like me;
I once was in debt, but now in recovery,
Was blind but now I see.

T'was Thorp who taught my heart to fear
And Thorp my fears relieved;
How precious did his words appear
The hour I first believed.

sagefr0g

aslan said:
Ode to Edward O. Thorp

Was blind but now I see.

encore, encore:celebrate

BJgenius007

Sharky said:
def NOT Indian, but i GUARANTEE you are either Vietamese, Korean, Japanese, or Chinese
That is a very good guess. Although I am a genius, I was institutionalized in most of my life and never had a formal education. But thanks to Internet, I am catching up fast.

Read the earlier post about Mica (who I still think try too hard to convince us that she is a woman), it does look something written by an Asian because either I skipped words or some moderator messed with me by deleting words here and there.

Gamblor

BJgenius007 said:
Read the earlier post about Mica (who I still think try too hard to convince us that she is a woman)
Genius might actually be a genius.

Or might know more about Mica then the rest of us ;)

BJgenius007 said:
That is a very good guess. Although I am a genius, I was institutionalized in most of my life and never had a formal education. But thanks to Internet, I am catching up fast.

Read the earlier post about Mica (who I still think try too hard to convince us that she is a woman), it does look something written by an Asian because either I skipped words or some moderator messed with me by deleting words here and there.
I'd guess a pyccker or khokhol. But that's not important!

blackjacktilt

aslan said:
Ode to Edward O. Thorp

Was blind but now I see.

You're on a roll aren't you? :laugh::laugh: