Splitting versus doubling

boneuphtoner

I ran into a situation at the tables recently that I have never seen before. Meaning that I didn't know what takes priority when it comes to basic strategy versus making an index play. I was dealt 4,4 versus a dealer's 5 (DAS game). The true count was high enough to warrant doubling an 8 versus a 5 (>+6 in FELT), but then I wondered if I should just split the 4's since that is basic strategy. Everyone at the table, dealer included, said I should split them. I decided to follow this advice, and won both hands. :grin::grin::grin:

But I can't help but wondering what takes priority in a situation like this.

boneuphtoner said:
I ran into a situation at the tables recently that I have never seen before. Meaning that I didn't know what takes priority when it comes to basic strategy versus making an index play. I was dealt 4,4 versus a dealer's 5 (DAS game). The true count was high enough to warrant doubling an 8 versus a 5 (>+6 in FELT), but then I wondered if I should just split the 4's since that is basic strategy. Everyone at the table, dealer included, said I should split them. I decided to follow this advice, and won both hands. :grin::grin::grin:

Risk averse play is to double. Correlation to the count is much better so it probably has a higher EV (accumulates advantage much quicker after index is exceeded) and is more likely to actually be the correct play. If you are side counting sevens, a high density of sevens would favor splitting. Without the side count doubling is the better play.

boneuphtoner said:

That's a very interesting play, but I bet the split makes more sense because it will give you a pretty good opportunity to at least breakeven but chances are on any high count is that you'd be able to bust the dealer.