Starting a bank

Fact

I know a few of the finest and most skilled and experienced players, on this board, or anywhere, have asked for investors in very recent times.

Moo is an excellent gent, free of all vices and hard working, just not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. On top of that a very fine AP with SKILLZ.

Opportunities abound in AP,,,still.

CP

Bojack1

moo321 said:
An absolutely fair question. I have some stock investments that I really like right now, (one that I consider a near-lock for about 12% within a couple months). I also recently de-leveraged some debt that I had in my personal finances, and started a business that needed working capital.

I will be investing personally on this bank as well.
I have a question. If you are speculating 25 to 50% in just a few months for investors into your bankroll, why would you yourself me more willing to invest in a 12% stock potential instead of concentrating it into an investment thought to be over 2 to 4 times more valuable? If I were a potential investor this could undermine confidence. I know you stated you will be investing in the bank as well, but asking for money when their is a question in your financial commitment to it should be brought up by any responsible investor. If you can make bold return predictions of 25 to 50% in just a few months, diversifying to a far lesser investment while asking for funds not only seems out of sorts, it would seem fiscally irresponsible. This is a very short term deal, I would think if confident you would go for the most bang for your buck.

moo321

Bojack1 said:
I have a question. If you are speculating 25 to 50% in just a few months for investors into your bankroll, why would you yourself me more willing to invest in a 12% stock potential instead of concentrating it into an investment thought to be over 2 to 4 times more valuable? If I were a potential investor this could undermine confidence. I know you stated you will be investing in the bank as well, but asking for money when their is a question in your financial commitment to it should be brought up by any responsible investor. If you can make bold return predictions of 25 to 50% in just a few months, diversifying to a far lesser investment while asking for funds not only seems out of sorts, it would seem fiscally irresponsible. This is a very short term deal, I would think if confident you would go for the most bang for your buck.
12% in 3 months equals 48% annualized. So the stock has a similar expected return, and I want to diversify.

Bojack1

moo321 said:
12% in 3 months equals 48% annualized. So the stock has a similar expected return, and I want to diversify.
OK. But you also said your expected bankroll return to be 25% to 50% over 3 to 4 months. Annualized that could be up to 200%, so no, the expected return is not even close.

NightStalker

In short yes

Dyepaintball12 said:
If someone is smart does that mean they have definitely lots of money?
1 year is more than enough to build a bankroll and that's a minimum to pass rookie phase.

If you are certain about some winning, then you would always like to invest your money only, right? I have used several investors because I want to bet maximum and was aware that I've high chance(>33%) of losing on the game. If I found a game with no variance like rebate promotions, why would I freeroll my investors?

That's why I donot understand the purpose of teams & investors.

MangoJ

moo321 said:
An absolutely fair question. I have some stock investments that I really like right now, (one that I consider a near-lock for about 12% within a couple months). I also recently de-leveraged some debt that I had in my personal finances, and started a business that needed working capital.
Sorry to say, but this is nonsense. You don't need all your bankroll in cash all the time. You can keep most of your stocks while still playing the game.

You could even get a loan, backed up by the stocks. Once the debt from that loan reaches the value of your stocks, repay the loan. In the meantime, you can play blackjack and collect EV from both play and stocks (minus interest on loan). Your total risk is the size of your stocks (as above), but you get more EV (if your stocks outperformes the loan as you state).

21gunsalute

moo321 said:
Please tell me you're not actually expecting a 48% yearly return on the stock market in this economy! That would be unrealistic in the best of economic times. With Bozo in charge I would think -48% annual return would be more realistic.

ekimlacks

It's a huge shame that I'm not personally related to a lot of you, because I have a **** ton of money that is earning jack **** in my savings account right now...

(I'm not a huge idiot, I have some earning roughly 28% in energy companies, w00t w00t):whip:

MangoJ said:
You could even get a loan, backed up by the stocks. Once the debt from that loan reaches the value of your stocks, repay the loan. In the meantime, you can play blackjack and collect EV from both play and stocks (minus interest on loan). Your total risk is the size of your stocks (as above), but you get more EV (if your stocks outperformes the loan as you state).
Thats the ticket! Thats also why precious metals are good too. zg

Lowrider

The price of gold is at/ near its all-time high...not reallly goin for the buy low sell high strategy there huh...gold was great buy in Kate 90s before the .com bubble burst...if you bought if then you'd be a gazillionaire now.

Lowrider said:
The price of gold is at/ near its all-time high...not reallly goin for the buy low sell high strategy there huh...gold was great buy in Kate 90s before the .com bubble burst...if you bought if then you'd be a gazillionaire now.
Oh, you didn't hear? The dollar is still crashing, the gumint is still printing money at an accelerated rate,
and gold and silver just barely are beginning to take off. zg

Lowrider

zengrifter said:
Oh, you didn't hear? The dollar is still crashing, the gumint is still printing money at an accelerated rate,
and gold and silver just barely are beginning to take off. zg
This is exactly what all the dotcommers said in 1999...lol

Blue Efficacy

RJT said:
I love the level of defensiveness that's showing to a perfectly legitimate question! If you have been playing a long time and haven't managed to generate a bankroll of your own, that suggests one of several things to me
  1. You're not as good as you think you are
  2. You've been playing mediocre to poor games
  3. You've won, but pissed the money all away either through poor money management off the tables or one of a host of addictions
  4. You're looking to take a free roll on someone elses money
So let's say somebody who's been playing $200 max games is a bad player because they haven't been able to generate bankroll for a $100 MINIMUM game they'd like to play?

Sorry but even if you're the best low stakes player in the world, high stakes BRs do not grow on trees.