Strange betting system

I've read a book that proposes the Uston Advanced Plus/Minus system (tags +1 for 3,4,5,6,7, -1 for X,J,Q;K,A and 0 for 2,8,9) where true count is calculated using full decks and has this strange betting system for 6 decks:

1 deck gone, raise your bet when TC=+4
3 decks gone, raise your bet when TC=+2
4 decks gone, raise your bet when TC=+1
5 decks gone, raise your bet when RC>=0

What do you think about it? It's a kind of big "floating advantage" system!

BJFan

jack.jackson

mleancole said:
I've read a book that proposes the Uston Advanced Plus/Minus system (tags +1 for 3,4,5,6,7, -1 for X,J,Q;K,A and 0 for 2,8,9) where true count is calculated using full decks and has this strange betting system for 6 decks:

1 deck gone, raise your bet when TC=+4
3 decks gone, raise your bet when TC=+2
4 decks gone, raise your bet when TC=+1
5 decks gone, raise your bet when RC>=0

What do you think about it? It's a kind of big "floating advantage" system!

BJFan

These are known as betting indices. Which I use. They come in handy depending on your betting strategy. The more incremental bets you were to use, the more betting indices you would have to learn. This is why, i only use four different type bets for MD. THen of course they change depending on the spread i want to use. Not the indices, just the bets.

The purpose for betting indices, is both a function of floating advantage and convenience.

Last edited:
Jack,

Please tell me why is it convenient, as I see that there are many missing opportunities of rising your bets early in the shoe. If it's due to floating advantage, I think's it's overestimated.

Thanks,

BJFan

jack.jackson

BJFan said:
Jack,

Please tell me why is it convenient, as I see that there are many missing opportunities of rising your bets early in the shoe. If it's due to floating advantage, I think's it's overestimated.

Thanks,

BJFan
The betting indices gives you the edge, opposed to TC method, when raising your bets early, especially with a level 2 or 3 count. In other words, it pinpoints it. It doesnt make much sense to me, to use betting indices if your using a L1 count. (will explain if needed).

Some players, have trouble calculating a TC(especially with hands in MD)but memorizing some indices previously can make betting much more relaxing in the long run. No need to caclulate for the TC, you just use your RC.

Technically hands could be done this way, but now thats overkill.

jack.jackson

BJFan said:
Jack,

Please explain me why is it useless to use this method with a L1 count.

Thanks,

BJFan
The purpose of betting indices are for those, who enjoy precision or higher accuracy.

Actually betting indices, would indeed, provide a little more accuracy than a TC method. The reason is because if you had the advantage @TC+2 and there were 2 decks remaining you would need a RC of +4. But what if you had an advantage at @TC +1.5? You would be missing oppurtunitys. So if for example you could use the betting index +3 when 2 decks remain instead.

So it wouldnt be useless, and now that i think about it, it makes a little more sense. I was more less, saying that it wasnt as effective as a l2 or L3 count, because you deal with much smaller and crunched numbers. THis also applies to your indices and TC when using a L1.

If I were you and if you wanted to try this, ill lay you out a betting stategy you could try. Or tell me what strategy the book recomends.

Nynefingers

Jack, I think you guys are talking about two different things. Note that the OP is talking about betting at different TC depending on decks gone, not different RC.

jack said:
The purpose of betting indices are for those, who enjoy precision or higher accuracy.

Actually betting indices, would indeed, provide a little more accuracy than a TC method. The reason is because if you had the advantage @TC+2 and there were 2 decks remaining you would need a RC of +4. But what if you had an advantage at @TC +1.5? You would be missing oppurtunitys. So if for example you could use the betting index +3 when 2 decks remain instead...
It's not a good way to do this, better to just increment your RC at appropriate points in the shoe. That way if you are already in positive TC's it will get your bet up a notch.

Jack,

I understand the betting indices you're talking about and how using RC instead of TC can give you better accuracy. My concern is why should I wait to a TC+4 to raise my bet with 5 decks remaining, according to the betting strategy I extracted from the book, I think I'm missing betting opportunities there.

If you tell me it's because of the floating advantage, I don't think it's important enough to make me raise the bets at TC+4 with 5 decks remaining compared to TC+1 with 2 decks remaining.