Surrender up to?

I have a little silly problem, I am reading a book about the mentor system and it stands like this: surrender up to +7, then stand. do they mean that i should stand when have a +7 or more, or when the count is +8 or more?

Quper said:
I have a little silly problem, I am reading a book about the mentor system and it stands like this: surrender up to +7, then stand. do they mean that i should stand when have a +7 or more, or when the count is +8 or more?
If you learn basic strategy first it will make more sense. BS is THE FOUNDATION! zg

jimbiggs

Quper said:
I don't know about anybody else, but I don't understand the question.

Canceler

Regardless of whether backwards or not...

To me, up to +7 does not include +7, so my vote is for standing on +7 and higher.

So what does the book really say?

Sorry about all missunderstanings, its like "canceled" was forming it, if he think the text mean to stand when the true count was +7 or if it was after +7 = 8+ or more. this is how it was written

"surrender up to +7, then stand"
it has actually nothing to do with basic strategy as you guys was writing, it was more about when to switch from basic strategy because the count are to positive, if i should switch from it when its +7, or +8

Quper said:
I beleive you are saying it backwards. Give me a specific hand from the strategy chart you are reading. But again, your question indicates an incomplete understanding of BS! zg

ColorMeUp

Quper said:
Sorry about all missunderstanings, its like "canceled" was forming it, if he think the text mean to stand when the true count was +7 or if it was after +7 = 8+ or more. this is how it was written

it has actually nothing to do with basic strategy as you guys was writing, it was more about when to switch from basic strategy because the count are to positive, if i should switch from it when its +7, or +8
What zengrifter is saying is that you're probably saying it backwards. For example, a situation like a 15 vs dealer 9, you wouldn't normally surrender in BS. But if the count is sufficiently high enough to indicate a lot of face cards left, the probability of busting when you take the hit is higher so you might choose to surrender.

I'd be curious what hand would have you surrender up to a certain point of plus count then stand after that as well.

Cass

Quper said:

You arent reading this correctly at all. What he is referring to is in Renzey's mentor count. Renzey says to surrender your 17 vs. A on counts up to +7 beyond that you are suggested to stand. This is only in a H17 game.

ScottH

Cass said:
You arent reading this correctly at all. What he is referring to is in Renzey's mentor count. Renzey says to surrender your 17 vs. A on counts up to +7 beyond that you are suggested to stand. This is only in a H17 game.
I dont think there is any game that it is BS to surrender a 17 vs Ace.

Cass said:
I hadn't thought about that hand, but I did ask what hand he was referring to. zg

gobbledygeek

ScottH said:
I dont think there is any game that it is BS to surrender a 17 vs Ace.
I think you are supposed in games where dealer hits soft 17 (according to the BS engine). I did it last night and got some stares.

Last edited: