Table question help

Hi there, I have a question about this table I just found here (sonny posted it)

there are two EV columns, and to be honest I am still not 100% on what EV is, so could someone explain it for me ?

if you could please take a look at the attached .bmp file I took a screenshot of the table I had altered

thanks

Attachments

Sonny

thedon said:
there are two EV columns, and to be honest I am still not 100% on what EV is, so could someone explain it for me ?
Your EV is your advantage. In this case, you expect to win about 2.98 units per hour. With a $50 unit that's $149 per hour. This assumes that you are seeing 100 hands per hour and playing roughly 72 of them.

As you can see, the variance is very high for this strategy (make column C a little wider to see the dollar amount). You can easily win/lose $4,000 in a single hour of play. You have about a 20% chance of losing all your money, and it only goes down to 8.84% if you resize your bets after losing half of your bankroll. That's a very risky strategy.

-Sonny-

Sonny

calisurfer619 said:
hey how'd you make the cool chart? Like could you give me the formulas and stuff?
It's all directly copied from the book Blackjack Attack. The book gives all the formulas and explains how to use them. If you have any specific questions about any particular formula I can answer it here. There is also a brief description of the spreadsheet here:

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?p=15578

-Sonny-

Kasi

Sonny said:
Your EV is your advantage. In this case, you expect to win about 2.98 units per hour. With a $50 unit that's $149 per hour. This assumes that you are seeing 100 hands per hour and playing roughly 72 of them.

As you can see, the variance is very high for this strategy (make column C a little wider to see the dollar amount). You can easily win/lose $4,000 in a single hour of play. You have about a 20% chance of losing all your money, and it only goes down to 8.84% if you resize your bets after losing half of your bankroll. That's a very risky strategy.
-Sonny-
This is great - I was just trying to figure stuff like this out. I can't now lol. But does your sheet mean you'd be betting a total of $900 at those higher counts? And $750 at that intermediate count (can't see the pic now)?

Would you say you maybe mean "rounds" (number of dealer upcards played against) rather than "hands"? Or do you mean, if you spread to 3 hands vs one dealer upcard, that that is 3 "hands" as opposed to one "round"?

I think I think you mean it'd be $900 and 1 round lol :confused:

Maybe tomorrow I can figure it out. I've never been completely sure of the answers to my questions above but think the answers would be $900 and 1 "round".

Is, by any chance, what you are doing here like on page 20 of BJAIII, at least for SD calcs?

Sonny

Kasi said:
I think I think you mean it'd be $900 and 1 round lol :confused:
Right. It would be $900 per round ($300 per hand) and 72 rounds per hour.

Kasi said:
Is, by any chance, what you are doing here like on page 20 of BJAIII, at least for SD calcs?
I'm sure it is. I only have the second edition of the book but I'm sure the formulas in the third edition are the same.

-Sonny-

Kasi

Sonny said:
Right. It would be $900 per round ($300 per hand) and 72 rounds per hour.
I'm sure it is. I only have the second edition of the book but I'm sure the formulas in the third edition are the same.-Sonny-
Thanks Sonny. Didn't do the EV stuff but I'm glad to say I did get same SD in units, using only units, so I guess we are doing the same thing lol.

Sometimes I think it's easy to assume if one spreads to 3 hands one may think the SD applies to 3 "hands" rather than 1 round and maybe many hours later even tend to count them as "hands" played perhaps thereby overstating number of "rounds" played.

But, like you, I often tend to still label it "hand" SD or think 72 hands/hr etc even if "round SD" would be a better description which is what I think you are saying.

Heck, I get confused on that hand vs round stuff just on EV stuff lol.