The Royal Divorce

kewljason

toastblows said:
A9 doublers are my favorite to watch. Rarely do I do this unless im a)heavy on the plus rc and tc....or b) intoxicated on a $5 table doing a min bet :laugh:

I like A9 over 10 spliters because they believe they have a free pass to double up their money. 10 splitter ploppies seem to me like they are desperate to make the money.....A9 doublers seem like they are entitled to double up their money. Anyone else ever get this feeling?
I beleive splitting 10's is less risky than doubling A9. Double A9 and draw a low card and you could easily turn a winning hand into a double loss hand if the dealer doesn't break, and since the index is high for this play, you most likely have out max bet. For this example we will say 10 units. So you turn 10 unit win into 20 unit loss. (a 30 unit swing) If you split 10's, it is possible to do the same thing, but it is also possible and very likely that you will draw a high card to at least one 10, so there is the possibilty of win one, lose one. Net result, turn a 10 unit win into a push. (a 10 unit swing)

toastblows

kewljason said:
I beleive splitting 10's is less risky than doubling A9. Double A9 and draw a low card and you could easily turn a winning hand into a double loss hand if the dealer doesn't break, and since the index is high for this play, you most likely have out max bet. For this example we will say 10 units. So you turn 10 unit win into 20 unit loss. (a 30 unit swing) If you split 10's, it is possible to do the same thing, but it is also possible and very likely that you will draw a high card to at least one 10, so there is the possibilty of win one, lose one. Net result, turn a 10 unit win into a push. (a 10 unit swing)
yeah im not bagging on the concept of S-10s or A9 doubles as a theory.

I was just commenting on ploppy play. People who shouldnt be doubling on A9 because the count to "me" is saying 10/A is not likely at this time.....seem to be greedy and will double that card no matter what.....i love it. Entitlement that goes down in flames on A9 doubles is probably my favorite ploppy action. To me if you dont know what you are doing.....trying to equal or beat your 20 is the dumbest thing I can think of greed wise.

daddybo

yeah, I'll split 'em

Splitting tens at the right time is usually worth it..(think big bets)

Splitting tens can draw heat... but.. its usually worth it.

Splitting tens with min bets is excellent EV if you are wanting to clear the table. :) Also helps if you want to split later on when it counts. (just tell 'em you play mostly tournaments.)

toastblows

daddybo said:
Splitting tens with min bets is excellent EV if you are wanting to clear the table.
this is how i use my very infrequent use of splitting 10s. It ranks up their with hitting a 16 when dealer is showing 6, or a close 2nd. :)

kewljason

I once had the 'clear the table plan' backfire on me. Either last year or very early this year was playing with one other player at a 6 deck game. He was not an AP, appeared to be mostly a BS player, making most of the correct BS plays. About 2 decks in the count starts to rise. Was below the split 10 index, maybe somewhere arount tc +3 to +4. So I split my 10's thinking it may drive him away and I can play out the next 2+ decks before the shuffle alone. Instead, he states " Oh good, you are a ten splitter. I split ten too but don't usually do it with others players". On the very next hand he split his jacks to 4 hands gobbling up a stack of high cards!! :mad: I wanted to kick myself.

daddybo

kewljason said:
I once had the 'clear the table plan' backfire on me. Either last year or very early this year was playing with one other player at a 6 deck game. He was not an AP, appeared to be mostly a BS player, making most of the correct BS plays. About 2 decks in the count starts to rise. Was below the split 10 index, maybe somewhere arount tc +3 to +4. So I split my 10's thinking it may drive him away and I can play out the next 2+ decks before the shuffle alone. Instead, he states " Oh good, you are a ten splitter. I split ten too but don't usually do it with others players". On the very next hand he split his jacks to 4 hands gobbling up a stack of high cards!! :mad: I wanted to kick myself.
Ouch! Never had that happen...maybe you should have doubled on 16! :laugh:

Renzey

StandardDeviant said:
Splitting TT vs 5 or 6 comes up about 1,455 times per 100,000 hands; Even for the quarter player, it just doesn't make sense to me to take the risk.[/I]"
I think splitting 10's is a worthwhile play if two conditions are present.
1) the count is high enough to keep splitting all the way out to four hands.
2) there are some superstitious ploppies who are likely to leave the table because of it.

Remember, all you need is for two of the next four cards to be a 10 (unless they were going to come "blank/blank/10/10" specifically) -- and you've gone all the way! At +6TC three decks into a six deck shoe, the probablilty of running your split out to four hands is just about 40%. You've got a great chance of having a most profitable kind of split -- plus a shot at getting in some extra rounds afterwards that you wouldn't have gotten without spooking everyone by splitting. It goes without saying that at the end of the shoe, you will color up and leave.

Last edited:

moo321

Splitting tens is dicey, but if you've got a max bet out, I think it should be done. I use risk averse indices for ten splits, which means I don't do it much, but not splitting tens against a 6 at +7 is leaving a day's EV on the table. I'll usually leave after the deck is over when I do split.