thorp's 10 vs others count (aces seperate)

Ok guys, I am new here, so first off I would like to say hello to everyone, and that this site is awesome! I am not new to blackjack but am new to counting, I am pretty good at mental math, I have really been intrigued by the 10 vs others count. The ratio it comes up with is super easy because you count the cards in a fraction of others/tens. TO find the true count simply divide others over tens and there ya go! He has indexes as well so you can adjust your strategy from the basic strategy in certain situations when your index is either above or below the given value he lists. I guess the only thing that gets complicated with it, is using it on 6-8 deck shoots because your counting down from 216/96, which really still is not that complicated. On a plus side, it is all ratio and proportioned based, he was still able to win with this, on a single deck even if a dealer would shuffle up halfway through or sooner, as soon as cards get played you can see the ratio. its pretty strong system I think, this is how he won all his money.

So my question is what do you all think of it, and can I use it effectively on large counts or should i switch to a hi low type of count for the bigger shoes? I like it because you can easily divide the others by tens to quickly find your true count and adjust your bet accordingly and also vary from basic strategy accordingly. So far only criticism of it i have heard is the simple division and math that takes place in the head, to me this isnt a problem

maverik said:
Ok guys, I am new here, so first off I would like to say hello to everyone, and that this site is awesome! I am not new to blackjack but am new to counting, I am pretty good at mental math, I have really been intrigued by the 10 vs others count. The ratio it comes up with is super easy because you count the cards in a fraction of others/tens. TO find the true count simply divide others over tens and there ya go! He has indexes as well so you can adjust your strategy from the basic strategy in certain situations when your index is either above or below the given value he lists. I guess the only thing that gets complicated with it, is using it on 6-8 deck shoots because your counting down from 216/96, which really still is not that complicated. On a plus side, it is all ratio and proportioned based, he was still able to win with this, on a single deck even if a dealer would shuffle up halfway through or sooner, as soon as cards get played you can see the ratio. its pretty strong system I think, this is how he won all his money.

So my question is what do you all think of it, and can I use it effectively on large counts or should i switch to a hi low type of count for the bigger shoes? I like it because you can easily divide the others by tens to quickly find your true count and adjust your bet accordingly and also vary from basic strategy accordingly. So far only criticism of it i have heard is the simple division and math that takes place in the head, to me this isnt a problem
The original 1962 "Beat The Dealer" by Edward O. Thorp contains a neat set of cards in an envelope on the back cover. A total of six wallet size cards. They are "Approximate Player Advantage in the Ten-Count Strategy", "Basic Strategy", and matrixes of the Ten Count. A mighty weapon, even with todays standard's.

MoneyPlays

hmm...

maverik said:

Are you a maverick, or a desperado? :confused:

Sonny

The Tens/Others system is very weak compared to other counting systems. It is also more difficult to use in my opinion. In many cases you would not have an advantage using that system in the games currently offered. You would be better off using something simpler and more powerful like HiLo or KO. You can compare the efficiency of different systems on this page. The Tens/Others system has a very high Insurance Correlation but the Betting Correlation, which is much more important, is very weak.

-Sonny-