Time to move on

golfnut101

After 6 odd years of playing this crazy game with a so-called 'advantage', I am calling it a day. I shared with a member that I had a 'watershed' moment my last session, and that is I really hate losing more than I enjoy winning. My last four sessions have been so emotionally draining for me, and Im not even playing for money that matters.

My competitive nature, having played/coached hoops for many years makes losing in hi counts too much for me. I gave it an honest shot, working extremely hard to be, in my humble estimation, a very proficient counter. The consistency in which I lost big bet after big bet during hi to monster counts has led me to acknowledge this game is too crazy of a ride for me. Im not crying the blues and fully realize it is part of the game. I can walk away saying I at least broke even(obviously disappointed hoping to be up 5-10k at this point).

The main reason for sharing is to sincerely thank the many members that took the time to respond to questions and help along the way. Obviously by the responses, this forum is fortunate to have some of the quality people that it has. It was really interesting to learn about the math/theory of the game, and to just sit in a chat sometimes for example and read experienced AP's share.

The other reason for writing is to pass on what I hope is some sound advice to those hoping to start a serious AP career. And that is, it is not about finding good conditions; it is not about 'what count should I use'; its not even about being so diligent and committed to practice-which I constantly stressed to the few that I corresponded with. I believe it is about being brutally honest with yourself before you start, and find out what type of person you are. If you have an addictive nature, or cannot handle the wild swings this game will throw your way, than dont even bother to start.

This game is all about discipline-not only at the tables but at home practicing faithfully, and having a legit bankroll. I have had some interesting discussions with a fellow member about our common beliefs in regards to 'trip' bankrolls for recreational players etc. But, if you are not properly funded, and do not have the discipline, even the weekend trip can be a frustrating experience.
You are going to lose, and lose ugly. Do not let the drug of pos variance fool you-if you play long enough, lady luck is gonna mess with your head.

In closing, I would like to reiterate this is not a 'poor me' story. I fully accept that the game can and probably will happen like it has for me(damn that one shoe for climbing to +23rc from a IRC of -14 in first two decks-you know the rest fellas !)The brothers of the felt did a great job of preparing newbs like me
for what has happened.

And so it is with much peace that I say...good bye, good luck and good cards to all ! It has been a pleasure !

Sharky

hey nut,

sorry to hear the neg variance got the best of you...newbs keep in mind that our advantage by only counting is ever so slight...to steal Thunder's bean analogy..you got "Black Beaned". Even with a TC +8 our advantage is <4% so if a jar has 52 white beans and 48 black ones we are betting our max hoping to pick a white one. Unfortunately, you got 'Black Beaned'.

Happens to all of us...2 wks ago I had +6, head to head, bet $500..draw a 4/5 vs 7, double and pull a 9...thinking ok, have the 10 in the hole...no she pulls a 6, 2, 4. Ok only good news is count increased, play $600 next hand and get a 5/10 vs 8...thinking great this is def a bust...hit a get a 4...same thought...have the f#$#@kng 10 in the hole, no, 3 in the hole THEN THE TEN. $1600 in two hands.

I would be lying if I said the $$ didn't matter, it does, but I always look at the big picture...well, I'm still up $x for the year.

Just curious, what was your spread?

tezzadiver

golfnut101 said:
After 6 odd years of playing this crazy game with a so-called 'advantage', I am calling it a day. I shared with a member that I had a 'watershed' moment my last session, and that is I really hate losing more than I enjoy winning. My last four sessions have been so emotionally draining for me, and Im not even playing for money that matters.

My competitive nature, having played/coached hoops for many years makes losing in hi counts too much for me. I gave it an honest shot, working extremely hard to be, in my humble estimation, a very proficient counter. The consistency in which I lost big bet after big bet during hi to monster counts has led me to acknowledge this game is too crazy of a ride for me. Im not crying the blues and fully realize it is part of the game. I can walk away saying I at least broke even(obviously disappointed hoping to be up 5-10k at this point).

The main reason for sharing is to sincerely thank the many members that took the time to respond to questions and help along the way. Obviously by the responses, this forum is fortunate to have some of the quality people that it has. It was really interesting to learn about the math/theory of the game, and to just sit in a chat sometimes for example and read experienced AP's share.

The other reason for writing is to pass on what I hope is some sound advice to those hoping to start a serious AP career. And that is, it is not about finding good conditions; it is not about 'what count should I use'; its not even about being so diligent and committed to practice-which I constantly stressed to the few that I corresponded with. I believe it is about being brutally honest with yourself before you start, and find out what type of person you are. If you have an addictive nature, or cannot handle the wild swings this game will throw your way, than dont even bother to start.

This game is all about discipline-not only at the tables but at home practicing faithfully, and having a legit bankroll. I have had some interesting discussions with a fellow member about our common beliefs in regards to 'trip' bankrolls for recreational players etc. But, if you are not properly funded, and do not have the discipline, even the weekend trip can be a frustrating experience.
You are going to lose, and lose ugly. Do not let the drug of pos variance fool you-if you play long enough, lady luck is gonna mess with your head.

In closing, I would like to reiterate this is not a 'poor me' story. I fully accept that the game can and probably will happen like it has for me(damn that one shoe for climbing to +23rc from a IRC of -14 in first two decks-you know the rest fellas !)The brothers of the felt did a great job of preparing newbs like me
for what has happened.

And so it is with much peace that I say...good bye, good luck and good cards to all ! It has been a pleasure !
Nice post and oh so true! Good luck Golfnut. I suggest taking up online poker if you would like to see even wilder swings of variance!lol:laugh:

Cass

Thats too bad. Whenever I take a good beating it takes a little while before im able to get back to the table (emotionally and financially). I think another thing that makes a good counter is experiencing some positive variance, especially when you are first starting out.

sagefr0g

great post golfnut,

errhh i know what you mean about the psychology of winning and losing sorta thing, i think.
there are ways to have more winning session (feel good moments, lol) than losing sessions (agony of defeat, grrr). just in case you are interested.
essentially just set very modest goals, be willing to play very short sessions and quit when you are in the region of that modest goal. you'll often find your number of winning sessions are significantly greater than the losing sessions. sorry to say though, this tact wont win you anymore money, may even slow your rate of income down some, but it does increase (for the most part) the euphoria moments of having won the battle.
whatever, don't be a stranger around these parts. :)

blackchipjim

Noted

Great post gnut, too many people take this game waaay too seriously. They take it on as a personel challenge to make a million bucks which few are able to attain. It is a game and the newbies become disillutioned quickly you have had fun but the game can become a chore after a while. You summed up feelings that alot of us have had at one point or another in our quest. I'm not qualified to tell you to take a real long break but it can't hurt. I hope you come back eventually because you've helped with oppinion and fact on this site. Wherever your journey takes you don't be a stranger.

HockeXpert

Golfnut:

I am sorry to see you go because I enjoyed reading your posts and gaining your insight. Thank you for your contributions and best of luck with your future endeavors.

I hope new players read your post and learn that the toughest part of the whole battle is the battle from within, "am I good enough, what am I doing wrong and how can I keep losing in monster counts". Some players are just lucky and don't see huge negative variance early in their careers and I'm sorry to hear you are hanging it up because of your competitive nature. We all are a little ego-maniacal and need positive reinforcement to feed our egos.

Best of luck.

HockeXpert

aslan

sagefr0g said:
great post golfnut,

errhh i know what you mean about the psychology of winning and losing sorta thing, i think.
there are ways to have more winning session (feel good moments, lol) than losing sessions (agony of defeat, grrr). just in case you are interested.
essentially just set very modest goals, be willing to play very short sessions and quit when you are in the region of that modest goal. you'll often find your number of winning sessions are significantly greater than the losing sessions. sorry to say though, this tact wont win you anymore money, may even slow your rate of income down some, but it does increase (for the most part) the euphoria moments of having won the battle.
whatever, don't be a stranger around these parts. :)
Agree. Also, playing more conservatively will give you smaller winners, but less risk of humongous losses.

I am sorry to hear that it did not work out for you. I am just starting my adventure as a blackjack player. I am hoping to learn the game from other players on this site.