True count- why is it different?

I know the true count is determined by dividing the running count by the remaining decks. So tell me what I'm doing wrong. If the running count is +6 and there are 3 decks remaining the true count is +2. However if I take the same scenario and divide the remaining CARDS(156) into +6 I get +3.8. I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what. Can anyone help? Because I'm stumped.

shark

The true count is to determine the average richness in the remaining decks. No need to divide by the number of cards, just use the remaining decks.

For example, running 10 and 1 remaining deck would give you a TC 1. If you try to use the number of cards, you'd get 10/52 or .19

bj bob

eci555 said:
I know the true count is determined by dividing the running count by the remaining decks. So tell me what I'm doing wrong. If the running count is +6 and there are 3 decks remaining the true count is +2. However if I take the same scenario and divide the remaining CARDS(156) into +6 I get +3.8. I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what. Can anyone help? Because I'm stumped.
The true count is expressed in # of decks, not cards. It is an indicator of how "rich" or how "lean" the remaining cards to be dealt are and thus, if the player can anticipate a favorable or unfavorable environment for the remainder of the shoe. In essence, it's a plus-minus ratio on a per deck level.

Canceler

6 divided by 156 = 0.03846. This gives you the TC per card.

Then, for some unknown reason, you chose to treat it like a percent. 0.03846 x 100 = 3.8.

Most people like to use the TC per deck, though. 0.03846 x 52 cards per deck = 2.

k_c

eci555 said:
To calculate an exact true count if both running count and cards remaining are known:
TC = (running count) * 52 / (cards remaining)
Round as desired.

Instead of keeping track of cards remaining an estimate of decks remaining can be used.
In that case:
TC = (running count) * 1 / (decks remaining)