True Count?

Can any body explain the idea of true count in lets say a 6 deck game? I know that after each hand you have the running count but how do you work out the true count? from what I've heard its the running count/decks remaining in the shoe but what if you have say 4 and a half or 3 and 3/4? do you go into decimals or what? thanks in advance :grin:

Tobyamu

QFIT

Tobyamu said:
Can any body explain the idea of true count in lets say a 6 deck game? I know that after each hand you have the running count but how do you work out the true count? from what I've heard its the running count/decks remaining in the shoe but what if you have say 4 and a half or 3 and 3/4? do you go into decimals or what? thanks in advance :grin:

Tobyamu
The long answer: http://www.qfit.com/CalculatingTrueCounts.htm

charlieflip

Well, the general rule is to estimate the decks left in 0.5 units, like 2.5, 1.5 and 4 etc. That's what most sources say. It'll be easier to count the true count then instead of having to much decimals. This way you'll have a pretty accurate rate of true count, while keeping an easy method to estimate decks left.

ChefJJ

Tobyamu said:

Tobyamu
If you use an unbalanced count, it has a built-in RC to TC converter.

good luck

True Count Smoo Count

You divide the running count by the number of decks or fraction of a deck that you have not seen.

This definition covers the oft asked question of what to do with cards in the discard tray that you have not seen, i.e. entering a shoe midway through.

Can you round up or down or do you always have to work with the decimal lets say the true count was +6 and you had 2.5 decks left it would equal 2.4 can you just simply round down to 4 or do you just keep the .4

Sonny

Tobyamu said:
...lets say the true count was +6 and you had 2.5 decks left it would equal 2.4 can you just simply round down to 4 or do you just keep the .4
Most people would probably round 2.5 decks to 3 decks, so 6/3 = 2. If you want to use 2.5 decks then you might floor the 2.4 down to 2.0 if you don’t need the decimal place. There’s nothing wrong with rounding or truncating your TCs instead, but I think most people either floor them or round to the nearest half. Whatever is more comfortable for you.

-Sonny-

moo321

charlieflip said:
Well, the general rule is to estimate the decks left in 0.5 units, like 2.5, 1.5 and 4 etc. That's what most sources say. It'll be easier to count the true count then instead of having to much decimals. This way you'll have a pretty accurate rate of true count, while keeping an easy method to estimate decks left.
I just round to whole decks in shoe games. Screw all that hard work.

Moo321 is right. If you are attempting to split hairs by being too accurate on everything, it will make it more difficult to keep an accurate count and manage the game.