TV show 60 Minutes (superhuman memory)

ArcticInferno

On 12/19/2010 Sunday, the TV show 60 Minutes featured a story about a group of people who have superhuman memory.
You can go to the CBS website for a synopsis of the story.
They can remember everyday of their lives.
They can recall every event of everyday of their lives.
In one of the tests to confirm their super ability, they were given cards with pictures.
They had to remember the order of the cards and then sort them from memory.
One of the subjects actually did mention Dustin Hoffman’s character in the movie Rain Man.
However, they didn’t talk about applying their superhuman abilities.
How would YOU use such super ability? LOL!

aslan

ArcticInferno said:
On 12/19/2010 Sunday, the TV show 60 Minutes featured a story about a group of people who have superhuman memory.
You can go to the CBS website for a synopsis of the story.
They can remember everyday of their lives.
They can recall every event of everyday of their lives.
In one of the tests to confirm their super ability, they were given cards with pictures.
They had to remember the order of the cards and then sort them from memory.
One of the subjects actually did mention Dustin Hoffman’s character in the movie Rain Man.
However, they didn’t talk about applying their superhuman abilities.
How would YOU use such super ability? LOL!
Like, the count is zero, dealer has a ten upcard, but I know that there are eight aces and eight twos in the remaining 32 cards. I think I'll hit my hard 19. :eek: :laugh: BTW, next round I'm spreading to 6 hands and betting the farm. (BTW #2, the game has Early Surrender!) :laugh:

Perfect memory is a natural attribute of the brain (as opposed to the mind), but most people cannot access this memory. For this reason I have recommended form(s) of 'intuition as an intermediary assist.' zg

See ZGI page-4 >>
It seems you have broken away from the card counter “orthodoxy” over the use of intuition?

The hit-stand-double index for basic strategy departure is a wide-border “coin-toss” zone of perhaps two digits, plus or minus. Therefore, I encourage the use of one’s intuition when the decision is close. If decision by coin-toss will not reduce our effectiveness for these ever-frequent wide-border decisions, does it not stand to reason that we can learn to increasingly utilize the ‘meta-awareness’ faculties of our brain and “go with the force,” so to speak, to potentially obtain a subjective improvement over raw statistical expectation?

Consider for example, that while our conscious mind may not be aware of that extra 4 or 5 still remaining in the deck, and not evident by our true count of +1 when we face 16 vs. 10, modern science tells us that our brain DID notice the hit-not-stand situation, despite a true count indication to the contrary.

Theres not much you can do with a great memory, its the ability to analyse what you remember is really the thing you want.

If you can remember that five more low cards have come out then high cards, it means nothing unless you know what to do with it.

So to answer the question if i could remember everything that i saw i would work for an intelligence agency or i would hardly ever study for my tests.....thats about it..oh and play blackjack

aslan

mwmb said:
Theres not much you can do with a great memory, its the ability to analyse what you remember is really the thing you want.

If you can remember that five more low cards have come out then high cards, it means nothing unless you know what to do with it.

So to answer the question if i could remember everything that i saw i would work for an intelligence agency or i would hardly ever study for my tests.....thats about it..oh and play blackjack
If I could remember every card dealt, I think I could figure out what to do with it.
Trust me.

Oh wait, I know what i would do. I would watch a CSM for hours and hours and then work out if it had any kind of pattern

aslan

zengrifter said:
Perfect memory is a natural attribute of the brain (as opposed to the mind), but most people cannot access this memory. For this reason I have recommended form(s) of 'intuition as an intermediary assist.' zg

See ZGI page-4 >>
It seems you have broken away from the card counter “orthodoxy” over the use of intuition?

The hit-stand-double index for basic strategy departure is a wide-border “coin-toss” zone of perhaps two digits, plus or minus. Therefore, I encourage the use of one’s intuition when the decision is close. If decision by coin-toss will not reduce our effectiveness for these ever-frequent wide-border decisions, does it not stand to reason that we can learn to increasingly utilize the ‘meta-awareness’ faculties of our brain and “go with the force,” so to speak, to potentially obtain a subjective improvement over raw statistical expectation?

Consider for example, that while our conscious mind may not be aware of that extra 4 or 5 still remaining in the deck, and not evident by our true count of +1 when we face 16 vs. 10, modern science tells us that our brain DID notice the hit-not-stand situation, despite a true count indication to the contrary.
You need more than intuition. You need some reliable way to access stored memories. Intuition soon degenerates into hunches and guesses. I wouldn't be quick to bet the farm if I were you. But then I'm sure you have already found that out.

aslan said:
You need more than intuition. You need some reliable way to access stored memories. Intuition soon degenerates into hunches and guesses.
Au contrair, mon ami. Systematically developed and harnessed, perhaps it can become increasingly reliable?

Your 'conscious mind' doesn't need to actually remember any specifics, other than the count of course. There are ways that you may recieve the intuitive signal, like via a 'sensory cue', your palms tingling say. OR it may simply be a 'knowingness.'

Conservatively, I feel it's best used to temper your results when you are in the wide-border coin-toss zone where statistically it doesn't matter anyway. zg

Last edited:

aslan

zengrifter said:
Au contrair, mon ami. Systematically developed and harnessed, perhaps it can become increasingly reliable?

Your 'conscious mind' doesn't need to actually remember any specifics, other than the count of course. There are ways that you may recieve the intuitive signal, like via a 'sensory cue', your palms tingling say. OR it may simply be a 'knowingness.'

Conservatively, I feel it's best used to temper your results when you are in the wide-border coin-toss zone where statistically it doesn't matter anyway. zg
I agree 100%, however, "reliable enough" ways have yet to be developed. It's still a crap shoot.

aslan said:
I agree 100%, however, "reliable enough" ways have yet to be developed. It's still a crap shoot.
zengrifter said:
What do you base your opinion on? zg
From - Intuition More Reliable Than Brain When Making Decisions
"Unconscious memory may come into play, for example, in recognizing the face of a perpetrator of a crime or the correct answer on a test," explained Professor Ken Paller, of Northwestern's Psychology Department. Such memory can influence peoples actions without ever entering into conscious awareness, while explicit memory involves active and conscious memory retrieval.

aslan said:
Not interested. You forget, I have the luck magnet!
Come now, that is a different thread, Brother Aslan.
This one is about super memory and intuition.

As far as building conscious conventional memory, that always involves mnemonics, right?
Here's a decent looking source of memory system how to (I think) >>

aslan

zengrifter said:
Come now, that is a different thread, Brother Aslan.
This one is about super memory and intuition.

As far as building conscious conventional memory, that always involves mnemonics, right?
Here's a decent looking source of memory system how to (I think) >>
<b></b>
We were talking about intuition and unconscious memory. Now you've slipped conscious memory into the equation. One thing at a time, please.

aslan said:
We were talking about intuition and unconscious memory. Now you've slipped conscious memory into the equation. One thing at a time, please.
Well the OP was talking of phenomenal conscious memory... but intuitive
un(sub?)conscious memory is relevant nonetheless to such discussion. zg

aslan

zengrifter said:
Well the OP was talking of phenomenal conscious memory... but intuitive
un(sub?)conscious memory is relevant nonetheless to such discussion. zg
Now you're switching back to the OP. You're making me dizzy.

Let me grant you (without really knowing) that the unconscious mind can count cards, having learned this skill through the conscious mind. Now the trick is to get the unconscious mind to give the conscious mind hunches for each play on demand. Free your mind and try this for a week and let me know how you make out. :cool:

aslan said:
Now the trick is to get the unconscious mind to give the conscious mind hunches for each play on demand.
Not for each play. At least not to start -
just for the wide-border coin-toss zone departures where it matters not, count wise.

However, once the intuition skill has been sufficiently developed it may very well begin to assert itself
contrary to the count. That would be a highly advanced use of intuition. Let us crawl before we walk. zg