Two nagging questions

1) When the true count is +3 or more, I should take even money when I have a blackjack and the dealer has an ace, correct? It's a 6D game with 3:2 payout.

2) The three changes to BS (with multiple decks) in light of a dealier hitting a soft 17 are (a) double an 11 versus an Ace, (b) double soft 18 versus a 2, and (c) double a soft nineteen versus a 6.

Does anyone know the edge that making the above plays gives the player, or alternatively, the reduction in the house's edge? For example, does doubling an 11 against the dealer's Ace increase the player's odds by .001 from .494 to .495? (Yes, I have a reason for asking this question.)

Thanks!

pooptarts92

1) When the true count is +3 or more, I should take even money when I have a blackjack and the dealer has an ace, correct? It's a 6D game with 3:2 payout.

2) The three changes to BS (with multiple decks) in light of a dealier hitting a soft 17 are (a) double an 11 versus an Ace, (b) double soft 18 versus a 2, and (c) double a soft nineteen versus a 6.

Does anyone know the edge that making the above plays gives the player, or alternatively, the reduction in the house's edge? For example, does doubling an 11 against the dealer's Ace increase the player's odds by .001 from .494 to .495? (Yes, I have a reason for asking this question.)

Thanks!
1. Yes, take insurance on any other hands and take even money at true 3.
2. I believe in my book it says all 3 of those are the right play with any positive running count.

not sure about the edge questions but im sure someone will get to you on that.

sagefr0g

Thanks!
this link may help a bit with the second question,
http://www.bjmath.com/bjmath/ev/ev.htm (Archive copy)

Last edited:

FLASH1296

Read and learn !

Many/most Pro players, myself included, are "risk averse",
and will take "Even Money" at less than the "correct" Index.
Also, insuring "20's" is called for when close to the index.

It is cheap "cover play"; and a low price to pay for variance reduction.

DMMx3

FLASH1296 said:

Many/most Pro players, myself included, are "risk averse",
and will take "Even Money" at less than the "correct" Index.
Also, insuring "20's" is called for when close to the index.

It is cheap "cover play"; and a low price to pay for variance reduction.

1) How many units are you typically betting when insurance is -EV?

2) "Insuring 20s" ? You mean taking insurance when you have 20? Why does it matter what your hand is when you make a sidebet for a dealer blackjack?

FLASH1296

1. Obviously not much, ergo the "cheapness" of the cover.

2. It matter for two reasons. It is good "cover" as well as
"breaking even" on the hand is what creates the variance
reduction. You are a huge favorite holding a hand of 20.

tribute

FLASH1296 said:
1. Obviously not much, ergo the "cheapness" of the cover.

2. It matter for two reasons. It is good "cover" as well as
"breaking even" on the hand is what creates the variance
reduction. You are a huge favorite holding a hand of 20.

Seems to me that insuring a 20 is a poor decision since you hold two cards in YOUR hand that would have helped the dealer make his blackjack.