Vas Spanos Blackjack Classes (anyone familiar)?????

Has anyone heard of a gentleman named Vas Spanos. I'm a newbie to the card counting scene and came across his personal blackjack instruction/mentoring. I live in Minneapolis and that is where he is located. If you have experience with him or have heard anything, please let me know. I'd like to hear any feedback before I make a commitment. Thanks in advance!

Sonny

I checked out his website and it seems like he covers most of the basics. However, before you start spending lots of money on this, take a look in the “Free Counting Resources On Web” section here. You can learn the basics for free and we can answer all of your questions. If you decide that you want (or need) personal training then you can think about the classes. Probably about 90% of people who read about card counting end up quitting because they get bored or decide they just don’t want to do it. Take some time and get some good practice before you decide to spend the money on classes.

-Sonny-

Thank you!

Thank you very much for the reply. I plan on reading a book or two before I make a decision. Does anyone have first hand experience from Vas or spoke with someone who has?

Canceler

I remember seeing ads for his classes in the newspaper several decades ago. So he's been around for a while, but that's all I know about him.

I took Vas's Classes about 10 years ago, which was justified by placing first and second in the mystic lake blackjack tourney back then. He is a one of a kind guy and you will never forget his greek accent or the smell of cigar smoke, but does what he can to drill the numbers into your head and tells alot of stories of his and other students experiences to learn from.

You will learn tips on how to count the cards, like how to view them on the table, in what order, how to remember them along with the running count and adjusted count, and things like that, that are a bit more than what ill be told on a site.

He used to teach math at the U of M I believe.

Hope that helps!

Sonny

lotusguy said:
I took Vas's Classes about 10 years ago, which was justified by placing first and second in the mystic lake blackjack tourney back then.
Does he teach tournament strategy too? Other than Wong's book and Ken's e-book there isn't much out there.

-Sonny-

Sonny said:
Does he teach tournament strategy too? Other than Wong's book and Ken's e-book there isn't much out there.

-Sonny-
He didnt back then, but it was almost 10 years ago so maybe things have changed. My tournament strategy was count the cards, do the opposite of what the other players are betting, (ie if they bet alot, you bet a little, and if the dealer makes a hand, you gain an advantage), and bet conservatively throughout until the last few hands where you bet whats appropriate to ensure you have a shot at winning the last hand. I had some great luck playing like that back in the day but I am just some guy on a message board. Good luck!

Not to pick on anybody, but this is from his website advantageatblackjack.com

"I teach Blackjack players that they can win if they have the advantage. Let me define what I mean by winning. I mean that a player wins more than he loses in 30 hours of play. You don’t play continuously for 30 hours. You play an hour today, three hours tomorrow, two hours next week, etc.

The thing is do you make money in the thirty hours that you play? The answer is YES 7 out of 8 times! There is one thirty hour period where you’ll lose because of the so called standard deviation factor. You make 17 and the dealer makes 18. You make 19 and the dealer makes 20. The reason that you’ll win in 30 hours of play, 7 out of 8 times (that is pretty consistent to me!) is because the trials depend on each other. "

That doesn't sound right, I'm getting more like 300 hours to be ahead 7 out of 8 times.

Automatic Monkey said:
Not to pick on anybody, but this is from his website advantageatblackjack.com

"I teach Blackjack players that they can win if they have the advantage. Let me define what I mean by winning. I mean that a player wins more than he loses in 30 hours of play. You don’t play continuously for 30 hours. You play an hour today, three hours tomorrow, two hours next week, etc.

The thing is do you make money in the thirty hours that you play? The answer is YES 7 out of 8 times! There is one thirty hour period where you’ll lose because of the so called standard deviation factor. You make 17 and the dealer makes 18. You make 19 and the dealer makes 20. The reason that you’ll win in 30 hours of play, 7 out of 8 times (that is pretty consistent to me!) is because the trials depend on each other. "

That doesn't sound right, I'm getting more like 300 hours to be ahead 7 out of 8 times.

I saw that too...
I would think it would be best to stick around here search the forums and think up some questions. Most every question has been asked and answered on this site before but if you do not understand it or need clarification do not be afraid to ask! No one likes to log on and see all the topics grey with no new posts.

Chances are you will learn everything on here you can from him with patience. Also there are many many great plars on this forum if someone answers a question incorrectly or a little off they will be sure to pick it out and correct it. trust me there have been debats over 1.09% or 1.07% you will not be dissapointed. Oh and by the way the best part is its for free!

moo321

Don't pay for classes. Go to the library and learn the same stuff for free. Get all the blackjack books, read them, and start practicing.

Is this thread a ad for Vas Spanos Blackjack Classes or am I full of it ? The spammers have slipped one in on you Sonny. Subliminal adverstising at it's best.

Sonny said:
I checked out his website and it seems like he covers most of the basics. However, before you start spending lots of money on this, take a look in the “Free Counting Resources On Web” section here. You can learn the basics for free and we can answer all of your questions. If you decide that you want (or need) personal training then you can think about the classes. Probably about 90% of people who read about card counting end up quitting because they get bored or decide they just don’t want to do it. Take some time and get some good practice before you decide to spend the money on classes.

-Sonny-
More like 98% zg

InPlay said:
Is this thread a ad for Vas Spanos Blackjack Classes or am I full of it ? The spammers have slipped one in on you Sonny. Subliminal adverstising at it's best.
Not a ad... No spam here! I have taken his class, Vas is a great teacher. You still have to practice...ALOT! However the time spent working with Vas is something you can't just get on your own. He has seen it all, won a ton of money playing BJ and he drills the numbers (Charts) into your head in a way only he can!

BTW, I was winning using his approach...After I completed his class I won the first two times I played (Not large amounts) the third time I lost a little bit because I was chasing a high count...I was still a newbe. I haven't played sence or praticed for that matter because I ran into some tough times (nothing to do with BJ) and my head wasn't in it at the time. After watching Breaking Vegas the other day my intrest was sparked again! I found this site looking for BJ sites...

I have a meeting set up with Vas soon & plan on taking his refresher course. Again, I'm not advertising for Vas, just answering the posters question. And I think his course is great...But be ready to work hard because you will have to pratice alot. The techniques he gives you for practicing and his in class sessions are worth every penny!

Automatic Monkey said:
VAS SAYS: The thing is do you make money in the thirty hours that you play? The answer is YES 7 out of 8 times! There is one thirty hour period where you’ll lose because of the so called standard deviation factor. You make 17 and the dealer makes 18. You make 19 and the dealer makes 20. The reason that you’ll win in 30 hours of play, 7 out of 8 times (that is pretty consistent to me!) is because the trials depend on each other. "[/I]
(((BONG!)))

My class

I will let you borrow my books and deal cards to you for 20 bucks an hour so you can practice what you learn. This is cheaper and you learn more! Winter classes are filling up so hurry.
Ha

purplediesel said:
Not a ad... No spam here! I have taken his class, Vas is a great teacher. You still have to practice...ALOT! However the time spent working with Vas is something you can't just get on your own. He has seen it all, won a ton of money playing BJ and he drills the numbers (Charts) into your head in a way only he can!

BTW, I was winning using his approach...After I completed his class I won the first two times I played (Not large amounts) the third time I lost a little bit because I was chasing a high count...I was still a newbe. I haven't played sence or praticed for that matter because I ran into some tough times (nothing to do with BJ) and my head wasn't in it at the time. After watching Breaking Vegas the other day my intrest was sparked again! I found this site looking for BJ sites...

I have a meeting set up with Vas soon & plan on taking his refresher course. Again, I'm not advertising for Vas, just answering the posters question. And I think his course is great...But be ready to work hard because you will have to pratice alot. The techniques he gives you for practicing and his in class sessions are worth every penny!
Im sorry but three sessions are meaningless. I bs player could come out ahead two out of three times easily as most of us have done that. Heres another thing if you took his classes and followed through with them completely why are you still a newbie? If it was so great wouldent you expect to have a better understanding than just "newbie?" The fact that ...you have 4 posts two of which are in this thread... one asking if the strategy trainer is random and one more in that thread saying thanks.. does not help you case with inplays arguement. As i said before all you need is a book a deck and this forum to learn and be proficient in counting techniques.

zengrifter said:
(((BONG!)))
Originally Posted by Automatic Monkey
VAS SAYS: The thing is do you make money in the thirty hours that you play? The answer is YES 7 out of 8 times! There is one thirty hour period where you’ll lose because of the so called standard deviation factor. You make 17 and the dealer makes 18. You make 19 and the dealer makes 20. The reason that you’ll win in 30 hours of play, 7 out of 8 times (that is pretty consistent to me!) is because the trials depend on each other. "[/i]

sounds like we should take him to the voodoo forum!