Video Poker: Double up feature

LeonShuffle

Hi all. It's been (at least) a couple years since I've perused these boards. I'm a blackjack player but haven't played regularly in quite some time. Now-a-days I enjoy playing 9/6 Jacks or Better, though I obviously don't expect to make an income from it.

For the longest time, when I'd play a machine that has the "double up" feature, I'd just hit, "No, and don't ask again". I was more interested in time at machine than, huge payoff. Normally, I put $100 in a .25 machine and play for a few hours, get some free drinks and some comps in the mail. Recently though, I've decided to toy around with the doubling. I know it's not exactly the same as taking odds in craps, but it is quite similar. Anyway, I decided to do a test at home using a pretty aggressive doubling strategy. Playing for fun, every time I hit a pair of jacks or better, I attempt to double it 5 times; when I get 2 pair, I go for 4 doubles; 3 of a kind=3 doubles, straight=2 and just once for a flush. Anything above that, I simply take the win.

I play short sessions here and there and keep track with a clicker of how many hands I've played. So far, I've played 13 sessions which have totaled 2,253 hands. And btw, I don't count doubling attempts as hands. So after that many hands, I am exactly even (the reason for stopping at that number today).

Now this seems like a very good result to me so far. I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be the same had I not been doubling at all, but I really doubt it. The most I've been up after any one session (I haven't kept track DURING sessions) is $80 after sessions 2 (346 hands) and 3 (558). And the most I've been down is $300 after 8 sessions (1,444 hands). And I've yet to hit a straight flush.

Just wondering what other people's experience have been with the double feature, if you use it at all. In the meantime, I'll keep playing and tracking my results.

Thanks,

Leon

P.S. The whole reason I started tracking my results was that I had been playing this way for a while and seemed to be doing well at it so I wanted some concrete evidence.

LeonShuffle

Just hit 3,000 hands. 3,003 to be exact. I am now up $425! That's a 1.13% return for a game with a .48% house edge. I'm not naive enough to think that I'm on to something here; I know I've just been extremely lucky. I've never had this kind of success before I started doubling though.

I plan on continuing until I hit 10,000 hands. And I still haven't hit a straight flush.

LeonShuffle

Yeah, I'm aware. Much like taking odds in Craps. It's just that in Craps, that 0% becomes part of your overall bet and in VP, you first need to win in order to make the bet.

LeonShuffle

Disclaimer: I'm well aware that the "double up" option does nothing to change the house edge. This is simply an entertainment only experiment.

I'm now at 4,065 hands playing my "system" and I am exactly even again. I'll keep updating until I hit 10,000.

21forme

LeonShuffle said:
I'm now at 4,065 hands playing my "system" and I am exactly even again. I'll keep updating until I hit 10,000.
Just wondering how you track your hands played. Estimate based on time?

LeonShuffle

Back in my "bonus-hustling" days, I bought a little clicker to keep track of how close I was to the betting requirement. I'm just using that now.

LeonShuffle

Still shooting for 10,000 hands with this aggressive doubling strategy. Currently at 7,142 and down $50. I think that's pretty good considering I still haven't hit a straight flush. Although literally within 15 minutes I came 1 away from a Royal 3 times.

blackchipjim

hands per hour?

I don't use the double up feature since it slows your hands per hr. I'm curious as to what level of play do you consider yourself? Furthermore job 9/6 is rare at least on the east coast so what section of the country do you play in. Playing 10k hands using beginner level strategy instead of advanced will adversely effect your outcome. I don't even play job anymore except at one joint because it's 9/5 and that's the only one around here to offer it.

LeonShuffle

I use the intermediate strategy from the Wizard of Odds' site, which carries a .48% house edge. These 10,000 hands that I'm playing are just for fun on Bodog, which is 9/6. Also, I live an hour away from Atlantic City and there is definitely 9/6 to be found there, even some progressive ones.

LeonShuffle

Hey, what do you know?! Just got a Royal! Still just playing for fun but it's exciting nonetheless. It came on my 7,938th hand. Amazingly, the hand before it, I kept two suited high cards and wound up with 4 to the royal. Then the very next hand, I again kept 2 suited high cards (Jack and Queen of Spades) and got the remaining 3! So I'm currently at 7,938 hands and up $742.50.