What is a ploppy? Let alone other terms

tribute

aslan said:
I have played with quite a few near perfect BS players. But they generally have certain quirks, like not hitting A/7 against a 9, 10, or A; or not hitting 12 against a dealer 2 or 3 in 6- or 8-deck, or splitting 9s against a dealer 7.

Would you consider it a "quirk" for a basic strategy player to hit 10,2 vs. dealer 4?

aslan

tribute said:
Would you consider it a "quirk" for a basic strategy player to hit 10,2 vs. dealer 4?
Would you call it a quirk if he hit 10,2 against a dealer 6? I'm not sure what you're driving at, but in any of the games I play, a basic strategy player who does not count, hc, or track, would be off base to hit a 10, 2 against a dealer 4. Tell me I'm wrong. :confused:

tribute

aslan said:
Would you call it a quirk if he hit 10,2 against a dealer 6? I'm not sure what you're driving at, but in any of the games I play, a basic strategy player who does not count, hc, or track, would be off base to hit a 10, 2 against a dealer 4. Tell me I'm wrong. :confused:
Aslan, I would never say you or wrong, or confused! However, In Blackjack Blue Book II, Mr. Renzey states it is proper to HIT the 12 vs. dealer 4 if the 12 is comprised of a 10 and a 2. Now, for what I'm driving at: Does a counter ever hit any kind of 12 vs. 4 as an index play or for cover? I'm thinking it's a close call, anyway.

aslan

tribute said:
Aslan, I would never say you or wrong, or confused! However, In Blackjack Blue Book II, Mr. Renzey states it is proper to HIT the 12 vs. dealer 4 if the 12 is comprised of a 10 and a 2. Now, for what I'm driving at: Does a counter ever hit any kind of 12 vs. 4 as an index play or for cover? I'm thinking it's a close call, anyway.
Of course at certain counts it's a proper play--ask zg. But I never heard of the 10,2 bs play. Or should I call it the 10,2 refinement of bs. If Renzy says so, I believe it. I just never heard of it. It's similar to the rules for certain multiple card (more than two cards) hard 16s, as to whether to hit or stand. It's not really a bs play, but a refinement of bs. I believe Renzy has guidelines on that as well.

aslan said:
a basic strategy player who does not count, hc, or track, would be off base to hit a 10, 2 against a dealer 4. Tell me I'm wrong. :confused:
Yes, you are wrong. Its a minor paradox caused by the trade-off between EV and variance.
Playing BS I WOULD hit 12v4, at most game variants. zg

aslan

zengrifter said:
Yes, you are wrong. Its a minor paradox caused by the trade-off between EV and variance.
Playing BS I WOULD hit 12v4, at most game variants. zg
You'll have to define what you mean by BS then. Obviously it does not mean to you the BS as defined by the basic strategy engine on this website. And if it's a trade-off, how does hitting 12v4 become preferred?