What is the actual % gained?

I've been reading about counting cards the past couple of days and it seems to be common knowledge that the house has an 8% advantage and that counting gives the player a 1% advantage. So is that still considering the dealer's advantage or is the dealer's 8% dropped down to 0%, or -1% (since the player has +1% this is sort of the way I looked at it). Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Sonny

Playing proper basic strategy will give the house an edge of around -0.5%, not 8%. That's less than 1% to start with. If you are counting cards then you can get an advantage of 1-2% over the house.

-Sonny-

ihate17

Curious here

Rook said:
I've been reading about counting cards the past couple of days and it seems to be common knowledge that the house has an 8% advantage and that counting gives the player a 1% advantage. So is that still considering the dealer's advantage or is the dealer's 8% dropped down to 0%, or -1% (since the player has +1% this is sort of the way I looked at it). Sorry if it's a stupid question.
What in the world are you reading and where in the world did you come up with this to call it common knowledge?
I play few games with house edges over .5% and play many games where the house edge happens to be lower. I have seen horrible blackjack players who might be losing at an 8% rate but they are generally playing a game that with knowledge of basic strategy has a house edge 16X lower!

ihate17

callipygian

ihate17 said:
What in the world are you reading and where in the world did you come up with this to call it common knowledge?
I think it's pretty common for people to be playing with a 8% house edge, but that's more "common un-knowledge" than "common knowledge". :grin: