what is the real reason for a players card?

answer

To track _you_ of course. :)

Why do you think grocery stores have those stupid "value" cards? To track what _you_ are buying. The more they know about you, the better. At least they think so...

The danger is that if you get backed off while using a player's card that has your real name on it, you are _really_ backed off.

eyesfor21

yes of course but

there is a shop
without heat that we want lots of comps
would it be safe to show frequent wins
vs losses.?
would it matter much
playing with nickels..mostly

here is my worry.

two of my most recent backoffs happened right at the start of a session, I was playing for nickles, and used "my" player's card. Fortunately it did not have my correct name, so I don't have that problem yet, but when I bought in and gave the dealer my player's card, within 60 seconds someone was wanting to talk to me.

All I could guess is that my previous session had been noticed, that the eye had gone back over my play, and I had been too careless with my betting, letting them correlate betting with the count. They apparently then left a note on my player's card data for the next time I used it. So this is not a good plan, in general, for that reason. As I said, fortunately it didn't track back to my real name, and after a few months I'll play there again but _not_ with that player's card, which has been destroyed...

In vegas this was never a problem on the strip, as they would not even rate play unless your min bet was $25, so I had zero problems in that regard, but then of course there are generally zero comps at low-limit tables on the strip to go along with that lack of rating information...

It is a case of "do I do it and take a chance? Or do I not do it and play longer with fewer comps." Or there are alternative ways of dealing with player's cards where you can earn comps risk-free. Your imagination is your friend here... :)

Remember that you don't want the card to come back to _you_...

Depends on where I'm playing

When I'm on the road, I never use a player's card no matter what the incentive. The reason is that I tend to spread my head off and play a place until banned if it's not likely I will ever be going back there in a year or so. What I'm talking about are remote injun places that aren't likely to be flyering me all over the country. And I'm not going to be able to use the comps so no point in getting the card.

Now in my local places, I'm in a state of detente with the house. At Foxwoods a PC once went up to the dealer at my table and openly told him not to let me spread to 4 hands, because I'm a counter. But 3 was OK. So because I use and enjoy the comps and they don't have a problem with my action I have cards in these two stores. Last night I was sitting 5 feet away from Rick Derringer and Spencer Davis on stage, after a plate full of jumbo shrimp and a few martinis, all courtesy of my player's card. Had a pretty good session at the table too.

tracking

well, yes, it is to track your play, your win loss ratio, which is nice come tax time, but, also, as stated here,if you get backed off using your name, it will be inputted into your profile. Also, if you are suspected of being an AP, you will get evaluated, and that will be posted on your profile. Other than that, its for comps, etc..etc... I love my free dinners, and free suites, that I never use...haha...Anybody need rooms in AC????? LOL