What would you have done?

paymypush

I was playing heads up recently, the count was rising and I was winning. Just as the count called for max bet, someone jumped in and put the minimum bet on each of the five empty spots. After the dealer told him he could only play three spots, he did just that and I took the other two. I was now working three spots with 75% of my max bet on each.

What happened next was magical. My new found "friend" was dealt small cards on almost every hand for the rest of the shoe and stayed on his stiffs from 14-16. I was dealt several blackjacks and 20's, a couple of which were pushes and ended the shoe with the successful splitting of a pair of 10's. Ironically, if I had not split the 10's, it would have been the only hand my fellow player won as the dealer so cheerfully pointed out.

Disregarding my results, would anyone have played this differently? Would anyone say that I was over betting? I had double the max bet that I had set for myself spread over the three spots but my bankroll could well afford it. Would I have been better off going with two spots or betting lower than 75% of my max on each of the three spots? Heat was not a concern.

I would say that a high count favors every hand. So the more hands you play, the more you're going to make. I would have done the exact same thing.

The same risk profile would be three hands at 50% of your max bet on each of 3 spots. If you were over bankrolled this is not an issue but if you were on a tight BR 75% of max bet on 3 spots would be over betting. I am glad it worked out for you.

21forme

First thing I would have done was asked the guy if he minded waiting a few hands, so the flow doesn't change. Best case - he waits and you get your cards. Worst case - he says no or ignores you and nothing lost.

The way you present it, I would have done the same as you.

blackjack avenger

agree but

21forme said:
First thing I would have done was asked the guy if he minded waiting a few hands, so the flow doesn't change. Best case - he waits and you get your cards. Worst case - he says no or ignores you and nothing lost.
Agree with above
But, by not betting approx 50% max bet over 3 hands you did slightly damage your N0 and ate some of your own cards. Probably 2 hands at 75% was better, unless you feared losing the final spot.

Friendo

paymypush said:
I was dealt several blackjacks and 20's, a couple of which were pushes...
I have pushed so many 20's at high counts that I have trouble feigning disappointment/surprise when it happens.

Two hands, extremely high count, both dealt two faces, and the dealer has a 10 up. Wow: the hole card is also a 10 - imagine my surprise! Well I never! Sakes alive! Who would have thought ... !

For some reason this bothers me more than watching the dealer draw to 21 in high counts.