When should you split 10's?

Ace007

Are you only allowed to split 2 identical 10 value cards. For example 2 kings, 2 queens, or 2 10's... Or are you allowed to split any 10 value card out of a pair? Also when is it best to split 10's? I've seen some people do this, but don't know why?!

paddywhack

creeping panther said:
Any 10 value, K-Q-J.

Really best not to do it.

I used to do it a fair amount, now only when bored and want to screw off or piss others off.:grin:

CP
Couple that with maybe resplitting and doubling soft 21 and you've got a little more fun.......

Sharky

you do it when the count is very high, you are playing unrated and you don't plan to return anytime soon..GREAT play!

Ace007

so in other words. don't do it huh? just wanted to know if there was a specific time to do it. so even when the count is high it would bring too much attention it seems... especially when you win.

BJLFS

One thing to do is to "take a vote at the table". Just say out loud "I wonder if I should split these?" Most people there will say "Do it!" That's one way to split them.

paddywhack

BJLFS said:
One thing to do is to "take a vote at the table". Just say out loud "I wonder if I should split these?" Most people there will say "Do it!" That's one way to split them.
Not sure where you play, but that's not my experience.

I have really never heard the ploppies encouraging anyone to split tens. They groan as much as anyone when that play is done. Most of 'em know that 20 is a good hand. Only the really "stupid" players or us counters do that move.

BJLFS

paddywhack said:
Not sure where you play, but that's not my experience.
Most people would love to see someone split tens. I tried it once just to see people's reaction and most of them loved the idea.

Im with sharky....you do it when the true count is pretty high, but when this happens youll also have your max bet out, just think of the attention your attracting when you split 10s with your max bet out after youve been playing perfect BS....but if your not going back, and the count gets high enough to where you would split 10s, GO FOR IT!!

Shoofly

blackjack101 said:
Im with sharky....you do it when the true count is pretty high, but when this happens youll also have your max bet out, just think of the attention your attracting when you split 10s with your max bet out after youve been playing perfect BS....but if your not going back, and the count gets high enough to where you would split 10s, GO FOR IT!!
Another benefit of this play is that it causes ploppies to leave the table during a high count.

prankster

I think if you do it by the book-it's done when the count is high AND the dealers' upcard is a 5 or 6. Back to ploppies: they KNOW you NEVER hit A/7 and they KNOW insurance is a "sucker bet" and they're glad to let you know it.:joker:

For BS players, never split Tens.

For card counters: Assuming Hi-Lo for multi-deck, it's TC 4, 5, and 6 for a dealer upcard of 6, 5, and 4, respectively. Split tens in these situations if you don't like giving up lots of EV just because you heard that it was a bad move. Especially if you're playing unrated, with short sessions, in a place that you don't play at all the time. If you're a regular, it'll be a lot harder to pull off and probably worth less when considering longevity, but you shouldn't rule the play out entirely.

I would also recommend not avoiding correct use of the surrender option (including indices) or the insurance option, even though those both also bring comments from players and dealers and scrutiny from the pit (especially insurance).

moo321

Personally, I think the ten-splitting thing gets a bit overdone on these sites. I've split some tens in my day, and rarely did that on its own attract attention.

Exactly! I've split no shortage of tens, and I think it's clear that the whole ten-splitting stigma is more the result of reading the literature and forum posts than actual experience. Especially when considering the betting limits of the majority of posters here, there a lot of EV being lost over very little.

prankster

Lonesome Gambler said:
For BS players, never split Tens.

For card counters: Assuming Hi-Lo for multi-deck, it's TC 4, 5, and 6 for a dealer upcard of 6, 5, and 4, respectively. Split tens in these situations if you don't like giving up lots of EV just because you heard that it was a bad move. Especially if you're playing unrated, with short sessions, in a place that you don't play at all the time. If you're a regular, it'll be a lot harder to pull off and probably worth less when considering longevity, but you shouldn't rule the play out entirely.

I would also recommend not avoiding correct use of the surrender option (including indices) or the insurance option, even though those both also bring comments from players and dealers and scrutiny from the pit (especially insurance).
One night I took insurance on two hands in a row-dealer had a ten down card on both! Dealer and PC gave me a funny look-felt so good!:joker: