would you make the call?

Jack_Black

playing .05/10 cents. I played looser than normal since I could care less at these stakes. had a great loose table people calling on almost anything. pots going up to $9.

play by play:

had A9d and got raised pre flop .30 cents. I called. 3 people in the pot. flop is 10d 4d Js. middle raises to $6, button raised to $12 for all in, I called. middle had Jh 5h, button had KK. I caught the third diamond on the river to take the pot.

I know KK is highly favored over flush draw, by about 20% I believe. is that just crazy luck stupid play and I should never do that again or yes do that play?

ohbehave

You are 35% (1.9:1) to hit your nut flush. You called $12 into a pot of just over $25 (2.1:1). Correct call.

You might want to review odds of making your hands because if you are a 4:1 dog, as you thought you were, you shouldn't have made the call.

BrianCP

Well, can you provide the respective positions and stack amounts here? It might have been correct if the first two players got all in before you do to the pot odds to make your nut flush. In most circumstances though, a fold is usually correct. That is not to say raising all in on a draw is incorrect at some times (usually against opponents that realize there is a fold button), but calling all in is a beast that requires the correct pot odds up front.

Also, thank you for not taking .05/.10 seriously, the people with money that don't care about their 10 dollar buy in do me such a gigantic favor. When I reach that limit that is. I'll get there soon!

BrianCP

moo321 said:
I'm not sure I'd call the raise with A9 sooted.
I would describe that as the initial mistake, especially against such a loose field. A raise usually means business, most of they time they would rather just call.

moo321

BrianCP said:
I would describe that as the initial mistake, especially against such a loose field. A raise usually means business, most of they time they would rather just call.
Seems like you'll win a small pot or lose a big one. I could see calling in the big blind with multiple callers, hoping to hit 2 pair or a flush. But it also wouldn't kill you to fold.

Yeah, at those stakes, fire up a bunch of tables, and only play the top 12% of hands, Once you hit start betting and keep betting. Once I played 24 2/5cent tables, and won almost 9 dollars an hour over a decent sample.

moo321

1357111317 said:
Yeah, at those stakes, fire up a bunch of tables, and only play the top 12% of hands, Once you hit start betting and keep betting. Once I played 24 2/5cent tables, and won almost 9 dollars an hour over a decent sample.
Wow, 24 NL games. I'm impressed. I could get to around 16 limit games back in the day...

Jack_Black

BrianCP said:
Well, can you provide the respective positions and stack amounts here? It might have been correct if the first two players got all in before you do to the pot odds to make your nut flush.
I thought I did??? I can't remember details anymore. I believe pre flop, the button raised to .30 and I believe 7 called. then middle raised to $6, people folded, button raised to $12, I called and middle called. So pot was about $21 to me and I had to put in $12 to call $21, and then middle called adding $6.

BrianCP

mwmb said:
Never call if you think you have a winnable hand.
In limit this can be correct. No limit is a different story entirely, especially at micro stakes. Three betting pre flop almost always means Aces, Kings, Queens, Ace King. It is such a different form of poker than other stakes. More crazy, stupid, and ridiculous.

blackjacktilt

ohbehave said:
You are 35% (1.9:1) to hit your nut flush. You called $12 into a pot of just over $25 (2.1:1). Correct call.

You might want to review odds of making your hands because if you are a 4:1 dog, as you thought you were, you shouldn't have made the call.

Don't forget about implied odds. To survive these micro limit games you have to play your hands and draws aggressively so the fish try not to suck out on you all the time. Never limp in these games. It is nickel / dime after all. The rake and suckouts will destroy your EV if you are not playing the game correctly.
If you want to play a solid online game, play .25/.50 or .50/1.00 nl.
There is a bit more money involved and ABC poker is played moreso than the lower limit games.
Everyone has to start somewhere so keep at it.