Question regarding backcounting

Hello to all, been on the forum for a few weeks and figured i would post a question. Here it is. My friend and playing partner have a question regarding backcounting at shoe games. We have been playing mostly SD and DD games in our area, but theirs not too many of those games around and we don't want to wear out our welcome, so to speak. So we have tried to backcount 6 and 8 deck shoes and this is how we have gone about it. He and i both stand behind seperate tables and follow the shoe. When the TC is +3 or higher we give a designated signal for the other man to come in a start playing. Before that man sits we casually relay the count to that person, and he takes over that table. My question is what is a good way to play this situatuion as far as betting amounts,weather or not that person should be playing two hands, exit strategies, and so on........ Please feel free to share any and all ideas, suggestions, and comments. Thanks!

Sonny

The book Blackjack Attack covers all of these topics in better detail than I can give, but here's a crash course:

You probably want to jump in before +3 unless the games has very bad rules or you have a lot of other backcounters. You usually have an advantage at +2 and higher so you will earn more money by jumping in earlier. Otherwise you are missing out on the majority of your advantage. Your bet sizes should be calculated the same way you normally would, in proportion to your advantage at each TC. Since you are Wonging you can use a smaller bet spread and wait a bit longer to make your max bet, but I would recommend at least a 1:8 spread with your max bet at +5. The decision to play multiple hands or not will be based on how many other players are at the table and how many hands per hour you think you are getting. If there are 2-3 other players then it would be good to always play 2 hands. If you are alone then you should stick to just one. Be sure that your bets are scaled appropriately for multiple playing hands (either 50% or 75% of your regular bet based on your risk of ruin). You may also decide to play multiple hands if you need to get more hands per hour. Your exit strategy will be based on how many other tables are available, your entry point and how many other backcounters you have.

There is certainly a lot to learn. Blackjack Attack is the best source for all this info, but there is also good information in the FAQ post at the top of this forum. You can also search this website for old discussions on playing multiple hands, calculating bet spreads, risk or ruin, optimal departure points, backcounting techniques and team play. The Free Resources thread in this forum will also answer some of those questions. That should get you started.

-Sonny-

Last edited:

moo321

Yep. Blackjack Attack will tell you everything you ever wanted to know, and a whole lot more about back-counting.