Do you keep a diary? If so what information do you put in there?

BJLFS

Hey everybody,

I'm starting to keep a better diary of my play. Thus far I have the place here I played, hours played, est. number of shoes played, conditions, amt won/lost and the running total of $$ won/lost. What do you usually put in your diary? And what do you put in for the "conditions"? TIA.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
A few other things you might consider tracking...

• Which shift you played.
  • If anyone seemed to pay attention, note their name or appearance.
For typical card counting, conditions would include the games I played and the penetration I had.

This next one takes a lot more preparatory work depending on what plays you make...

In recent years, I started estimating my EV for every session and adding it to my daily notes. It's been very nice to have a running total EV for the year in my spreadsheet.

So far this year, I'm at 115% of EV. :grin:
Much more fun than last year's 88%. :eek:

BJLFS

Thank you!!

The estimating of the EV is going to be a tuffy.

KenSmith said:
A few other things you might consider tracking...

• Which shift you played.
  • If anyone seemed to pay attention, note their name or appearance.
For typical card counting, conditions would include the games I played and the penetration I had.

This next one takes a lot more preparatory work depending on what plays you make...

In recent years, I started estimating my EV for every session and adding it to my daily notes. It's been very nice to have a running total EV for the year in my spreadsheet.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
BJLFS said:
The estimating of the EV is going to be a tuffy.
That's another good reason to do it! It encourages the right mindset about every single play when you have to stop afterwards and think hard about what your expected win was.

BJLFS

KenSmith said:
That's another good reason to do it! It encourages the right mindset about every single play when you have to stop afterwards and think hard about what your expected win was.
True. BTW can I do that in CVBJ or do I need the other software?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
BJLFS said:
True. BTW can I do that in CVBJ or do I need the other software?
To do your own accurate numbers, you'll need CVCX or CVData.

However, that's really not necessary for this purpose.

You should be able to get a good estimate of your edge using some of the freely available numbers at sites like
BJStats.com (Archive copy) or CVCX Online

Don't worry about being exact or even nearly so. A general idea of your EV/hr in the most common situations is enough.

BJLFS

KenSmith said:
To do your own accurate numbers, you'll need CVCX or CVData.

However, that's really not necessary for this purpose.

You should be able to get a good estimate of your edge using some of the freely available numbers at sites like
BJStats.com (Archive copy) or CVCX Online

Don't worry about being exact or even nearly so. A general idea of your EV/hr in the most common situations is enough.
Roswell Crash Survivor said:
Yes, I think spreadsheets are great for keeping this type of information.
Thanks to you both!

paddywhack

KenSmith said:

Sounds like my results, 114% this year, 79% last year due to a dismal Dec. Lifetime about 105%, so far so good.....

Another thing I keep track of for my home joint is buy-ins and color ups. That way I have some idea, however rough it may be, of what kind of records they have of my play.

paddywhack said:
Sounds like my results, 114% this year, 79% last year due to a dismal Dec. Lifetime about 105%, so far so good.....

Another thing I keep track of for my home joint is buy-ins and color ups. That way I have some idea, however rough it may be, of what kind of records they have of my play.
Ask them while you are playing. Usually you can get them to massage the numbers in your favor with a little help from you.