Anecdotes from my latest trip

21forme

Just returned home from the Borgata. Two stories I think you'll get a kick out of...

1:
I'm at a $50 NMS table playing heads up with the dealer. The shoe ends, a guy sits down at the table and says,
"I'm new at this. The goal is to get 21, right?"
I say, "No, the goal is to beat the dealer (dealer chuckling in the background as she shuffles.) You're kidding, right?"
He says, "No, I serious." At that point he notices the table limits and says he'd better find a $5 table.
I say, "Good idea and good luck."

2:
I'm backcounting a table with a fresh shuffle and there's a 30ish year old guy at third base playing 2 hands with a big pile of black chips. I hear him counting out loud. The first round, our counts agreed. After that, they weren't even close, so I have no idea what system he was using. Anyway, he starts telling everyone at the table that he's counting and using a bet progression system, and he can help them out. As the shoe progresses, he tells everyone that all the good cards are gone (not according to my count) and bet minimum, etc.

I have no idea what he was doing, and his betting didn't seem to make any sense. He won about $5K that shoe.

The pit was watching him and let him continue, without comment. I presume they came to the same conclusion as me, that his "system" was voodoo and he got lucky. It almost seemed as though he was trying to attract attention to himself.

Last edited:

mdlbj

You can walk up to a 10 dollar table on a Friday on the strip ( if you can find one ) and say I'm going to sit here and count cards. They will shrug you off.