Understanding Illustrious 18 - Player 9 vs Dealer 2

I'm relatively new in AP and still trying to grasp all the details. For example, in Basic Strategy, whether you should DD with a 9 vs. a Dealer 2 depends on table rules. If you are playing a double deck game, DHS17, DAS allowed, you SHOULD DD on a 9 vs. Dearer 2. In looking at the Illustrious 18 chart, Player 9 vs. a Dealer 2 is a +1, regardless of # of decks. So in this case, is the I18 saying ONLY DD if the TC is +1 or higher? If so, why does BS say DD to begin with?

21forme

And you probably aren't aware that there's a long-time AP who has uses the handle Captain Jack. He's mainly into sports betting now, so you won't find him here, but it may still cause some confusion.

KewlJ

I saw this question posed on 3 different forums I was on and that doesn't include BJ21, so that makes 4. :p I answered at the first one I saw it at.

As a self identifying "newer player" I only wish answers would have included the idea that it just doesn't matter that much if one set of rules or number of decks has a play at +1, while another has +2 and that a player, especially newer player should just use one set of BS, for the game he most often plays and if he plays a different game that the numbers would be slightly different...so what. Make little difference.

So am I reading the Illustrious 18 indice correctly in regards to a Player 9 vs. a Dealer 2? Hit, unless the TC is +1 or higher, in which case I DD?

Meistro

"If so, why does BS say DD to begin with?"

How is a 9 v 2 composed? 9 can be either 7,2, 6,3, 4,5. 2 is composed of one 2.

So aside from the 7,2 v 2, which is a +2 RC, you have a +3 RC from 63 v 2 or 45 v 2. With 2 decks that is 1.5 TC. So that is why in double deck 9 v 2 is a basic strategy double, because of the composition of the cards that make up the hand. With 6 or 8 decks the EOR of just 3 cards is less impactful, which is why 9 v 2 is a basic strategy hit.

What I do for this situation when playing double deck, is simply use the index of +1, even though this is a basic strategy double. So at a count of +0, I would not double. That's because I'm a counter, not a basic strategist.

Meistro said:
"If so, why does BS say DD to begin with?"

How is a 9 v 2 composed? 9 can be either 7,2, 6,3, 4,5. 2 is composed of one 2.

So aside from the 7,2 v 2, which is a +2 RC, you have a +3 RC from 63 v 2 or 45 v 2. With 2 decks that is 1.5 TC. So that is why in double deck 9 v 2 is a basic strategy double, because of the composition of the cards that make up the hand. With 6 or 8 decks the EOR of just 3 cards is less impactful, which is why 9 v 2 is a basic strategy hit.

What I do for this situation when playing double deck, is simply use the index of +1, even though this is a basic strategy double. So at a count of +0, I would not double. That's because I'm a counter, not a basic strategist.
Well played!