678-B.S. Tables: Why one for *Counting*?

Was going to e-mail this one to Ken but I'll go here instead. I bought the package of four "678-Basic Strategy Tables" following links from blackjackinfo.com.

I don't understand why there are different multi-deck strategy-tables for normal "B.S." and for "Card Counting". The later table says it is "optimized" for use with a betting strategy in connection with a method like K-O or Hi-Lo.

Why is it that under normal play the normal B.S. table is always better, but when counting the "optimized" table is always preferential. It would make sense to me if the counting table said somthing like "Always use me with a positive true-count above '4', otherwise refer to normal BS tables" however it does not.

Since the table does not take into account the current (true or running) count why does the fact that your counting at all change the table one should use? Shouldn't the best move on a given single-trial hand, disregarding the count, be the same best move regardless of whats going on in your head, how many cocktails you've had, if daylight-savings time is in effect or any other outside factors?

Seriously though, I would love to know the "magic" behind this mystery table.

Thanks,
RavenSlay3r

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Counter Basic Strategy explained

Counter Basic Strategy, or CBS, is a pretty neat concept. Here's the idea:

Most of the gain in card counting comes from bet sizing, not from play variation. I always recommend that players ignore the whole concept of strategy index numbers until they're pretty comfortable with card counting, and have confidence in their game. Then, they can slowly add index numbers for common plays to learn when to deviate from basic strategy.

Counter Basic Strategy takes that idea one step further. If you want to learn and use only one strategy at the table without varying your decisions by the count, then the best strategy is a little different than regular basic strategy. Since you'll have the most money bet in plus count situations, here's an example. You'll be better off always standing with 16vT than always hitting it. While hitting is the correct play more than half the time, when you have the most money bet, standing is the best play. If you have to choose just one answer, standing is better.

Yes, utilizing counter basic strategy means you'll sometimes be playing the hand non-optimally. However, so does regular basic strategy. CBS just skews the decisions to when they matter most.

I keep coming back to this post and now I think I finally understand it.

Basically the table is skewed to give you the right answers when you have a high count and thus more money on the table - the moments when the counter is driving home their advantage and wants every percentage point (s)he can get.

The rest of the time the table is not "wrong" but is shall we say "less acurate" (as is any normal BS table when correlated with a specific count) but the effect of these minor-inaccuracies is minimized because the bet is low, and one is essentially waiting out the table anyways.

- -

If one is comfortable with normal BS and CBS for multi-deck but hasn't made it to index's yet would a logical step be to play regular (multi-deck)BS when the count is neg., 0, or 1, and then switch to CBS as soon as your count/bet starts going up?

To my understanding this would allow you to emphasize the strengths of each table and FURTHER minizmize their weakness'.

thanks
Raven

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you've got a handle on the issue entirely now. Using regular basic strategy until your bet increases and switching then to CBS would give you the best of both worlds.

That actually will get you a large chunk of the gain you might could get by using card counting indexes.