9/5 Blackjack House Edge?

BetUS has a promotion on Thursdays where a Blackjack pays 9/5, instead of 3/2 or the dreaded 6/5. I've looked and can't find any information on what this does to the house edge. I know that 6/5 increases the house edge on average from 0.45% to 1.82%.

As 9/5 is better than 3/2, does anyone know how to compute the improved edge?

gronbog

As a very rough calculation, you get a blackjack about once every 21 rounds. So you will be paid an extra 9/5 - 3/2 = 0.3 units once every 21 hands. The extra player edge is therefore 0.3/21 = 0.0143 = 1.43% which is quite substantial. It is enough to provide a positive advantage off the top for a typical game.

As an exercise, use the same method to show that this promotion improves the player advantage by the same amount that 6/5 degrades it.

Midwest Player

gronbog said:
As a very rough calculation, you get a blackjack about once every 21 rounds. So you will be paid an extra 9/5 - 3/2 = 0.3 units once every 21 hands. The extra player edge is therefore 0.3/21 = 0.0143 = 1.43% which is quite substantial. It is enough to provide a positive advantage off the top for a typical game.

As an exercise, use the same method to show that this promotion improves the player advantage by the same amount that 6/5 degrades it.
Okay, why the difference? G Man posted on Norm's site the additional edge is 1.36%

The G Man

The difference comes from the fact that you have to account for those times when the Dealer also have a Blackjack and you only get a push on the hand.

gronbog

The difference is that I used (and said) a very rough calculation using one blackjack every 21 hands. It is, of course, not exactly one every 21 hands and as G Man has pointed out, I did not account for pushes.