Advice please - is counting worth it?

FLASH1296

Read and re-read until you "get it"

Rounding: Reduces a "precise" index number to an integer. When Rounding, all the index numbers are rounded to the nearest integer, following the mathematical rules which apply when rounding numbers. Examples: -1.50 becomes -2, -1.49 becomes -1, -0.50 becomes 0, +0.49 becomes 0, +0.50 becomes +1, +1.49 becomes +1, +1.50 becomes +2. Of course, an index number which has been calculated to be "precisely" an integer, does not change: +3.000 remains +3.

Truncating: Reduces a "precise" index number to an integer. When Truncating, we simply take away (truncate) the decimal part of the index number, leaving only the integer part. Examples: +2.95 becomes +2, +2.15 becomes +2, -0.99 becomes 0, -3.05 becomes -3. Of course, an index number which has been calculated to be "precisely" an integer, does not change: +3.000 remains +3.

Flooring: Reduces a "precise" index number to an integer. When Flooring, all the index numbers are taken down ("floored") to the nearest smaller integer. Examples: +2.95 becomes +2, +1.05 becomes +1, +0.10 becomes 0, -0.05 becomes -1, -3.99 becomes -4. (Notice that flooring positive numbers is identical to truncating them.) Of course, an index number which has been calculated to be "precisely" an integer, does not change: +3.000 remains +3

Can I have change for this red chip, please?

FLASH1296 said:
Rounding: Reduces a "precise" index number to an integer. When Rounding, all the index numbers are rounded to the nearest integer, following the mathematical rules which apply when rounding numbers. Examples: -1.50 becomes -2, -1.49 becomes -1, -0.50 becomes 0, +0.49 becomes 0, +0.50 becomes +1, +1.49 becomes +1, +1.50 becomes +2. Of course, an index number which has been calculated to be "precisely" an integer, does not change: +3.000 remains +3.

Truncating: Reduces a "precise" index number to an integer. When Truncating, we simply take away (truncate) the decimal part of the index number, leaving only the integer part. Examples: +2.95 becomes +2, +2.15 becomes +2, -0.99 becomes 0, -3.05 becomes -3. Of course, an index number which has been calculated to be "precisely" an integer, does not change: +3.000 remains +3.

Flooring: Reduces a "precise" index number to an integer. When Flooring, all the index numbers are taken down ("floored") to the nearest smaller integer. Examples: +2.95 becomes +2, +1.05 becomes +1, +0.10 becomes 0, -0.05 becomes -1, -3.99 becomes -4. (Notice that flooring positive numbers is identical to truncating them.) Of course, an index number which has been calculated to be "precisely" an integer, does not change: +3.000 remains +3
Flash is pointing this out because otherwise he knows that someone will be getting change for a red chip because they will want to bet $172.00 on the next hand, although with all the decimal places on the calculated optimum bet they would have to bet $172.34. I have run into this problem when I know DARN WELL I should be betting $74 dollars, 87 1/2 cents but sometimes I get really really crazy with it and bet $75.00!hahaha

I know this to be true! I was pulling out some old notes on things, calculations of various blackjack stuff the other day and looking it over. I had to think to myself, "Why the hell did I run this stupid thing out to 4 decimal points?????" At least I noticed that I changed it up a bit a little further down the road.

Last edited:
Tarzan said:
Flash is pointing this out because otherwise he knows that someone will be getting change for a red chip because they will want to bet $172.00 on the next hand, although with all the decimal places on the calculated optimum bet they would have to bet $172.34. I have run into this problem when I know DARN WELL I should be betting $74 dollars, 87 1/2 cents but sometimes I get really really crazy with it and bet $75.00!hahaha

I know this to be true! I was pulling out some old notes on things, calculations of various blackjack stuff the other day and looking it over. I had to think to myself, "Why the hell did I run this stupid thing out to 4 decimal points?????" At least I noticed that I changed it up a bit a little further down the road.
Tarzan has more important things to remember than all the decimals in his indices. All the people who think level 2 with ace side is to hard should see what he has to do. He accounts for every card dealt. It is most impressive. Rainman has nothing on Tarzan.